prologue

The arena air was crisp as the sounds of blades cutting through the ice filled my ears. It was a daily occurrence, Monday through Saturday, sitting in the bleachers of various arenas, taking notes on the boys plays.
Every day was different, except for Saturday.

Saturdays were always the same, that's why they were my favourite. We alternated teams and schools throughout the week, players coming and going, boys screaming and shouting. I had the responsibility of choosing which boys were considered for spots. I wasn't exactly a 'coach' but because of who my father was, the school was paying me to scout out the best players for our team in the fall.
On  Saturdays, I got to see them. The group of players I always longed to see.
There was a few of them, all tall and fast. Each of which stood out on their own...but there were two that really caught my eye. Before each ice time, I could hear them screaming to eachother in the players room. They were loud and excited to show us what they've got and for that, I admired them.

The slightly smaller of the two, Jack, shot left and was quick on his feet. I liked to call him the Tasmanian Devil because of how wild his plays are.
To this day, I've never seen anything quite like him. His PPG average is wild and he is unbelievably focused. I had watched some of his post game interviews and he has always had a little firecracker in him. He was fierce and stubborn, something I seen in myself, so every time he was on the ice, I found myself drawn to him.

The second of the two, Zegras, or "the child prodigy" as I call him, also shoots left. He was the one I first noticed. He is quick and precise but knows exactly when to slow it down. His stick and puck handling skills are incomparable. His hands move better than any other college player I've ever watched and I knew he would be the best addition to our team possible.

It took me 3 months of scouting before I had an interaction with either of them. I stayed sat in the cool plastic chair a few rows above the ice, flipping through my stats, locked into the game below. It was quater past 9 and I was just about to close up, when he tapped me. It was a soft simple tap, one that showed the nervousness of whoever had reached their hand out to do it. I turned in my chair to be greeted by a goofy smiling teenage boy. He was a mere 3 inches from my face, staring directly into my eyes. Clearly, the tap was deceiving.

"Hey" he chimed, his eyes flickering to my lips and back. "I'm Trev".
"Marcie" I smiled, holding my hand out to the boy. He confidently shook my hand before climbing over into the seat beside me and making himself comfortable."I've seen you here a few times recently, are you scouting?" he asked, his body turned almost fully in his seat towards me.
I smiled again and nodded. "Boston University". I said pointing to the logo on the front of my binder. "Born and raised."

He smirked at me and nodded towards the binder in my hand. "Well Boston, you got any notes on me in there?" I paused for a second before looking at him again. I scanned his face for any sign of familiarity before landing on the small cowlick that peaked out from the back of his neck. How had I not put two and two together??
"Oh Mr. Zegras!" I said quickly, closing up my stats in front of me and turning to face him more, slight excitement beginning to peak through my calm demeanour. He looked different off the ice than he did on, his features were sharper and more mature, yet somehow more childlike. "Of course I have notes on you, your handwork is phenomenal! On behalf of Boston-" He interrupted me with a coy smile, his eyebrow raised to his hairline. "Never been to Boston, how would they know about my hand work?" He winked at me and his eyes became sinister.
I shook my head in disappointment as I smiled. "I sure hope you don't speak to the administrators like that at your recruitment meetings"
"Well are they all young blondes?" he asked.
I smiled wider and lowered my head. "Seems like you have nothing to worry about then." He added, nudging my arm. He was unbelievable. Flirting with the scout because I was young? Not interested.

"Trust me, not gonna get anywhere with that. You still have 3 people ahead of me to impress" I nudged back.
"Oh so I've impressed you already?" he teased, running his hands through his hair.
This man was relentless. I rolled my eyes and stood up. "You know Mr Zegras-"
"Trevor" he interrupted.
"Trevor. You may get your way all the time around here...but this is Boston we are talking about, big leagues..a real chance to show the world what you got. If you think that flirting me with gives you any advantage-"

He interrupted me once again with his coy smile as he stood up to face me.
"You know Mrs Marcie, I actually came up here to ask you if I could get your number and didn't know you were a scout til I saw your stats open. But, if you are more interested in your work I get it. If  you are not a total bummer....meet us at Smalls after practice and we can completely ignore the fact that our futures are in the palm of your hand." He turned away from me and began to climb back over the plastic bleachers.
I stood there for a moment considering my options. Yes he was charming and I did feel a little hot in the cheeks when he spoke to me...but he was immature.
I rolled my eyes and began to follow his path, judging myself each step of the way. I felt awkward...this wasn't some cheesy romance novel, why was I intrigued by some unnecessary flirting?

- - -

I sat in my car gripping the steering wheel frustratingly, my knuckles white as I lowered my head. What on earth was I doing? A mere 20 ft away were the guys I was supposed to be recruiting. It was unprofessional of me to meet them at a sports bar after my hours. I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door, reaching my foot out to touch the ash fault. "If they wanted someone professional, they should've hired a professional" I muttered to myself as I pulled all the way out of the car.

I confidently walked up to the front doors and adjusted my black tank top, leaving any doubts locked behind me in my Chevy Corolla. When my hand reached the the handle, I was abruptly sent back by the door swinging open. In front of me, a smiling brunette boy stood, his hair wildly sprawled over his forehead.
"It's the scout" he said to me, reaching out a hand. "I'm Jack. Jack Hughes."
"Marcie Robbins" I responded, taking his hand graciously.
His eyes danced with fire, brown like a flavourful chocolate mousse. His fingers were soft as they wrapped around the back of my hand, but his palm was calloused and cracked. "Fair warning everyone's pretty hype to see you" he spoke again. "Z played it up that you were here on a date with him so they are probably gonna nag the living shit out of you, but other than that they don't bite."
I couldn't help but let a laugh escape from my throat, as he opened the door wider for me. He smiled down at me and shook his head.

"I know we just met" he started as he guided me towards their table at the bar. He hadn't let my hand go yet as he pushed through the swarming crowd, keeping me close to him. "But could u do me a favour?" He turned his head to me a few steps away from the table, just as the rest of his friends came into view. "Act as if you are completely revolted by Trevor while everyone's here, once they leave you can treat him how u want..but god would it ever make my day". I chuckled and shook my head.

"If you really thought that wasn't already my plan, you are surely mistaken." I said back looking past his shoulder at the table of young people. From the corner of my eye I saw Jack smile as he turned and began to lead the way towards the group once again.

- - -

We spent the night drinking and laughing as I was growing to envy this group so of people. The girls at the table all seemed so worry free and kind. They would say things like "I'm going to" before they would name off their dreams. "I'm going to get my degree, travel the world and then start my own psychology practice", "I'm going to have 4 kids", "Im going to find my soulmate".
I had never heard a group of people speak that positively before. No "I hope" or "I might".
They were so sure of themselves.
The boys were the same way, positive and supportive. They all encouraged the dreams the girls would mention and ask them questions.
It felt good to be surrounded by a thick wall of love and care.

I think that's why I fell in love with those people so easily.
As our love for each other blossomed, Trevor and Jack became my biggest supporters, and I theirs.
No matter what happened over the years, they would always put our happiness first. No grudges, no judgment, just an effort to support...even when it was near impossible.