chapter three

Trevor's sinister smirk meets my gaze as he pushes off of the counter with a grunt. "Damn he's dramatic." he states, strutting towards me.
I shake my head at him and scoff. " You two fight like brothers."
He smiles and sits in the chair in front of me. "Yeah well someone has to make sure you don't fall for him." he teases as he adjusts himself on the chair.
I roll my eyes and tut my lips. "You are ridiculous"
Trevor looks around the kitchen before leaning closer to me. His breath brushes my cheek as he licks his lips innocently. His hair frames his face so gorgeously that I feel my breath hitch. The more I grow to know him, the more I adore him. It started out platonically...after all Jack warned me about him at our first encounter, and with my association with the team it felt wrong to pursue anything with him (no matter how tempting it could get.). However, the closer we get to the end of their college careers...the closer I get to breaking my personal rules.
Trevor leans forward and brings his hand towards the side of my face and brushes a hair from my cheek to behind my ear. With every movement he makes I feel my stomach rise higher into my throat. "Sorry, I couldn't see your eyes." He says as he slides back into his original position. "You know how much I love them."
Fuck. I swallow my tongue and look away from him. I can't be alone with him anymore, it grows more and more difficult every time. Its like I have to remind myself with a vinyl that plays over and over in my corrupted mind:

Amelia is amazing.
Trevor is dating her.
They are perfect for eachother.
He loves her.
But what if he loved me?
No. He's in love with someone else.
I'm irrational...
But what if?

"Whatcha thinking about?" He asks "You know, besides work? I swear you can never get hockey off your mind, you are worse than the guys."

I let his question hang in the air for a moment as I ponder. His hands meet his hair and he eyes find me again, not daring to rupture the eye contact again.
"You" I say, quietly. He tilts his head at me and he swallows.
I can't help but feel guilty. I don't want put him in positions like this anymore, it's unfair. I swallow my thoughts for what feels like the 8th time in one night and lean back in the chair just far enough to spot the beautiful girl laying on the couch in the living room. My heart stings and I stand up, backing away from any possible mistakes I could sputter out.

"Yeah- I mean you and Jack.....and Jere....and Colton. All of you guys. Like what's gonna happen when you all move o to bigger and better things? We all know it's like it's the most exciting thing ever that you have scouts watching u both, but it's completely taboo when it comes to what happens after... I guess-I guess I'm scared that you two will move on to bigger things and I'll be—"
"Right there by our sides." He interrupts. "You've gotten us this far Robbie, we aren't just brushing that aside. I mean you've practically kept us alive for the past 4 years. "
He pushes himself out of his chair and steps towards me, causing my feet to tumble slightly as I back into the island. He reaches forward and uses his two first fingers to lift my head by my chin. "We will never be apart Marce—any of us. Today, tomorrow and what's to follow...just like we've promised."
As his words relieve my roller coaster of emotions I experienced the past 5 minutes, I place my open palms on his chest and push him away from me gently. "Really cheesy Zegras. Really cheesy."
He mimics an offended face as he clutches at his chest. "Cheesy?!?" he screeches "More like poetic..."
I smile and shake my head. "Yeah well save your poems for another day...you've got a big exhibition tomorrow and I'm guessing a special someone might be stopping in. I'm gonna take you and Jack to the Rec Hall for noon to do pre-game interviews with the representatives so I'm expecting you to each be well rested and ready to go by 11:30."
He smiles at me and rocks on his feet.
"I'm serious Zegras. I can't be by your side on that draft stage if you aren't drafted."
I laugh softly and turn him by his shoulder to face the living room. His feet plant themselves and he forces me to shove him into stride as he watches me over his shoulder. "Oh come on, pleeeeeeassssse don't make me go sit out there with Beeves and Butthead after all that. You've got me emotional and it's really tense and definitely not as comfortable out there as it is in here with you. Besides, Jeremy couldn't stop asking me about Jacks relationship with Emily. It's like he's obsessed."
I scoff and continue to use all my might to push the lengthy giant in front of me, practically disappearing into his shadow as his body threatens to tip and crush me. "Yeah well im not asking you to sit with them, I'm asking you to sit with your girlfriend. You know? The gorgeous woman that you abandoned out there with said 'Beeves and Butthead'?"