chapter four

Bob Marley blares through the speakers by my head as I'm seated in the passenger seat of Jeremy's car. It's been 3 weeks since our little dispute and we've managed to grow stronger than I would have ever expected. He smiles graciously at me as his thumb traces circles on my knee. Looking over at him has my stomach in knots as he bobs his head to the tune.
"Nervous?" he asks, flicking his eyes from mine to the road. I force a smile and lean my head back onto the head rest. "Antsy" I respond.
As I said, it's been three weeks since our dispute. That means 3 weeks since Trevor and I shared a moment in the kitchen...and three weeks since Jack has had a decent conversation with either of us. He's been claiming it's because he needs to stay focused on his games before the draft, and as much as that's true, I also know he has been avoiding me in specific.
You see for as long as I've known the boys, Saturdays have been Jack and I's day. Every Saturday we would go to our bar, drink our same drinks and sing 'Any Man of Mine' at karaoke..he called it our theme song. It was our routine..and I love it. Since that night however, Jack has scheduled interviews every Saturday at the rink and just 'failed' to tell me.
So yeah, I'm nervous to see him. I'm nervous that I'm going to lunge forward and wrap my hands around his throat when I see his dumb face again. I'm nervous that my heart is gonna jump out of my chest and land smack dab on the floor in front of him for him to stomp all over. I've  been there for Jack every step of the way and now...after he's been projected as number one draft pick...he just ignores me?

Tonight was my Interview with the NHL Board of Administrators. Since my fathers passing last year, Boston has been trying to hire me on as a full time scout and GM for the team. As much as I'd love that, the boys have taught me that being involved so closely in a team is hard. You grow attached and I can't spend my life holding onto a bunch of hockey players. This new job, however, was brought to my attention by Jere himself. It's an unpaid (unfortunately) 3 year internship at the NY Official NHL administration office.... It would allow me to float above the teams rather than be involved with where the boys futures play out, and sort of give Jeremy and I a chance to connect further when he leaves for New York next month.
"You're gonna be okay" he says as he reaches forward to turn down the music. "Everyone in that bar loves you Marcie Robbins, they have no choice but to support you"
I roll my eyes and sink deeper into the chair. "'Marcie Robbins—failed lawyer becomes an Intern in a fantasy hockey world.' Seriously Jere, what am I doing..they are all gonna hate me"
His eyes fill with sympathy as he turns into the parking lot and puts his car in park. "Marc.." he whispers, running his palm closer to my hip. "Nobody I have ever met is as smart and as determined as you. Hockey isn't a fantasy world for you..it's your passion, and quite frankly-I don't know how. I could never understand why you chose to be around us sweaty..nasty..dirty joke telling guys all the time, especially when everyone in the room was trying to fuck you. You put us in our places and then picked us up when we were down. You might not realize it but you aren't only there for Trev and Jack...you are there for all of us. You make each and every player on that team stronger and put your all into everything u do. The way your eyes light up when u watch us play and the way you choose to listen to thousands of stories retold again and again of our games...it's unbelievable..but it's you. It's your passion and it's what you were made for. I know Boston loves you...but now it's time for u to love you and do something beneficial for yourself. If you hate the job...then move on. There's nothing holding you down Marcie."
As my name comes out of his mouth I feel as small tear trickle down my cheek. Jere is perfect, he squeezes my hip gently and I shimy in my seat towards him, reaching forward to grab his face. I pull his head towards mine and connect our lips, allowing his tongue to slip into my mouth.
Kissing him makes me feel special and important . It's like the way his mouth moves is always for my enjoyment.
We sit silently in the car for a few minutes, breathing in each others breath and pulling gently on each others lips as his hands find my hair. I smile into his mouth just as he begins to pull on it gently, and place my two open palms on his chest.
As I pull back, I see him smiling ear to ear with his eyes contently closed. "I loved that" he says "now we absolutely can't go in."
I roll my eyes at him once again as I turn to adjust myself in the mirror of his sun-visor. He smirks at me from the corner of my eye and lifts his hips up before reaching for the door handle. "I'll go in first" he mumbles as his backs turned to me. The sound of his door closing releases a soothing sensation in my body as I take a deep breath.
Behind the doors of smalls I would find my boys, my best friends, my lifelines and I would tell them that I'm leaving...just before their draft, with one of their good friends who I've been seeing for over a month now.
I take a deep breath and open the passenger door of Jeremy's jeep, touching the sole of my white converse to the black asphalt. The memories of the first time I met the boys flood my mind as the distance to the door grows smaller and smaller.
"It's okay." I mumble to myself as I reach for the door handle. Just as my fingers brush the cold silver, I'm shot backwards by the door swinging wide open. In front of me, once again, stands Jack Hughes, only this time he isn't smiling at me. He has a freshly rolled joint loosely hanging from his moist lips as he stares down at me. I feel my chest loosen at the sight of his eyes and I smile softly, opening my lips to say something to him. "He-"
"Sorry." He mutters, interrupting me as he pushes past me. What the hell?
I turn to look at him as he takes a few steps out towards the parking lot before turning slightly and bringing his lighter to his lips. At this moment the anger builds immensely in my chest and I can't stop myself as I stomp forwards towards him.
"Sorry? That's it?!?! for what exactly are you sorry for Jack." I ask angrily as I reach up and pluck the unlit roll from his mouth.
He tsks and throws his head to the side frustratingly. "chill" he mutters, attempting to lean forward and grab it back from me. I huff angrily and smack at his outstretched hand with my opposing hand. "Don't you dare tell me to chill. You avoid me everyday for the past few weeks because you have to 'focus on hockey' but here you are smoking fucking weed outside of a fucking bar? Bullshit. Absolutely bullshit."
I blurt out, my face growing hot as I try not to choke on my words.
"None of your buisness what I do with my life Marcie. Just go inside, if I wanted a lecture I would've stayed with Emily." He reaches behind his ear and pulls another joint to his lips, lighting it desperately as I stand in front of him.
It's quiet between us for a few moments before I finally scoff at him. "You really think I don't know you well enough to know when you need someone Jack? I'm not Emily, I'm not Trevor, I'm not your dad. I'm Marcie fucking Robbins and I have given my all to you for the past 4 years, the least u owe me is an apology. So man up, grow some balls and talk to me." The last few words come out kind of exasperated as he stares at me. He rolls his eyes and takes the smoking plant from his lips, holding it out to me. I grab the joint from his fingers and our skin brushes together gently causing me to quickly lift it to lips. As I pull the rough fog into my mouth, he watches me with intensity, as if contemplating what to say. The fog fills my brain as I watch his eyes scanning mine, the air growing thick and contorted. "You are the only person I've wanted to talk to Marcie. It's just that I can't, and you know that, you know what you do to me."
As he watches me exhale the smoke I feel my stomach tighten. I reach forward and hand him back the joint as I run my fingers through my freshly straightened hair. Just a few moments ago, I was sitting in the car, staring at Jeremy, the safe and reliable man he was, yet now.. I'm standing outside with Jack and staring at him wishing in gods all mighty hell that he will lean forward and kiss me. "I talked to Anderson about you." I say, ignoring his comment. He sucks in another drag of smoke and nods his head at me. "What'd he say?" Jack asks, letting the white fog pour from his plump lips. I loved that he was able to easily switch the topic with me, he didn't wanna argue just as much as I didn't. We always knew how to communicate healthily, I guess that was just another thing I loved about him.
"He says they are thinking New Jersey. You'd be 5 hours away." I respond. He shakes his head and begins to rock on his feet, leaning his head back and staring at the sky. "Yeah well, it's better than being in Canada I guess."
I can't help but let a laugh escape from my throat as Jack chuckles to himself. He watches me intently as I look down at my feet, had my feet gotten bigger, or was the weed messing with my depth perception?
I reach forward and take the joint from his hand again, taking a long pull. As it fills my cheeks I see his eyes light up with that familiar fire. "Come with me" he says quietly. "To New Jersey, come with me."
I laugh nervously and look up at him. "I'm not joking Robbie, we can go, just you and I. It's possible I swear, you are my best friend and yeah I know things have been shit between us recently but I can explain, just give me this chance."
I smile at him as he leans forward to look at me. I flick the empty roach to the pavement and rock on the heels of my feet. Was he serious? What did he expect me to do for work? Should I do this?
He reached forward and grabbed my hands, running his thumb over the smooth skin on the tops on my hands. "Say something Marce."
But before I could get my response out, the sound of the door of smalls swinging open interrupts us and we both turn to look, tearing us out of the moment.
"Marce?" a shaky voice calls. "Marcie I need you".