chapter nine

Trevor's soft and rosey skin is peeking at me from behind the crack in the door. His eye follows my hands as I fold laundry. I can see his smile start to form as I shake my head at him. The room is silent yet loud at the same time. The water from Stacy's shower is echoing as she hums over it in her angelic voice. God she was perfect, she was everything and more....How could anyone even look at me when she was in the room?

As I place a folded up t-shirt on the silky comforter of my bed, his soft hands knock gently in a rhythmic tune on my wooden door.
"Come in" I breathe, watching as he slowly pokes his entire face into view. He smiles gently at me and lets out a short sigh. "Jacks on." he says, pushing the door open wider.
I quickly hop from my bed and run to the living room, flying past Trevor as he stands against the frame of my door.
When I reach the living room, I plop heavily onto the sofa between Jamie and Colton who are seated crisscross applesauce with bowls of popcorn and chips in their laps. "Slow ur roll." Colton mutters as he reaches across me and takes a handful from Jamie's bowl. "I'm tryna eat here."
I quickly shush him reach for the remote on the coffee table as Trevor slugs into the living room, hands in pockets. He rounds the love seat with his eyes on the TV and sits on the edge of the armrest, mouth slightly agape.
"uh uh nope, off." I shew as he digs his boney butt into my new couch. "ur going to break it Trev"
He rolls his eyes loudly before aggressively falling backwards with a dramatic sigh. "God you never let me do anything fun." he mutters, but I ignore him. I am far too focused on Jack's rosey cheeks as his face flashes onto the screen. His hair is neatly styled and his skin looks much smoother than normal. He's wearing a velvet suit with a white undershirt that squeezes his chest in just the right way and I can't help but smile at how handsome he looks when he gets done up.  
Trevor sighs loudly again and closes his eyes before dropping his head back.
Jack smiles at me from behind the glass of the TV screen and my stomach floats. Of course he wasn't actually smiling at me but what does it hurt to hope? His tongue travels over his lip as he interacts with the interviewer and he runs his hand over his fluffy brown hair.
"So Jack, tell me...how does it feel to be projected as the number one draft pick in the 2019 NHL Draft" the pepper-haired interviewer asks as Jack adjusts himself in his chair.
"His hair looks whack" Jamie mutters besides me. My eyes stay focused on the screen as I loudly shush him with an added little smack on the leg.
Jack laughs lightly as he looks down into his out of sight lap. "It's good man, I mean it's definitely something I think I've worked really hard for so it feels good to sort of get that recognition you know but, yeah it's just a shock" he breathes as a small chuckle leaves his perfect mouth. Sorry.
The interviewer chuckles with him as he adds on a bit but it's not as perfect.
"How you feeling about possibly making a big move this upcoming year man? June is definitely not far away so if you keep up this good season we could definitely see you making a move"
he slips through his Hollywood teeth.
I watch as Jacks face catches slightly but he smiles.
"Yeah you know, if it happens i'll be more than honoured..um...I definitely have my people here and my supporters here so it'll be hard to leave that behind because Ive been surrounded by these people for years but...um....yeah i think....um... it'll be hard." his lips seal tightly as the last word escapes his lips and I feel a sharp stab in my heart, reminding me of yesterdays meeting.
"Well I'm sure your supporters are going to follow you anywhere Jack..you definitely aren't one to ignore"
Jacks face forces a smile as he nods over dramatically at the interviewer. "Yeah yeah" he laughs loudly as his head involuntarily shakes. I swallow deeply and adjust myself in my seat. I should be there with him, I should make the
move with him...or should I not...?

This interview is a huge part of Jacks professional career. It was an official interview with NHL representatives to be aired on NHL platforms, and it just so happened to be his first ever live widely broadcasted interview. The house at the boys house doesn't get cable and we weren't allowed to be there with Jack so I invited some of them to come and watch with me. (I got way too excited when I learned that not all of the frat boys had modes of transportation to get to my apartment so i'd only have these two. ) Jamie leans back and adjusts himself comfortably on the couch. "How'd things go the other night after I left?" He asks, stuffing a handful of popcorn in his mouth. Trevor's head flicks over quickly at the words leaving Jamie's mouth and his eyes meet mine. They look swiftly into mine as if searching for an explanation. I smile softly at him and feel pain sink into my chest. Why did I feel so guilty...
"Hello? Earth to Marcie" Colton exclaims as if suddenly intrigued by the conversation. My eyes stay on Trevor's as his face softens. "Um yeah, I went to bed pretty early I was feeling so groggy" I whisper barely audible. "Yeah right" Colton grunts, kicking his feet up onto the coffee table. "Jack's been tryna bang since before freshman year and you're telling me he got you alone and soaked from the rain in your apartment without doing anything about it...liar" he mutters. I shew his feet off the table and brake eye contact with Trevor momentarily. "Hey man if you are telling. the truth, that's truly embarrassing for little Hughey." he mutters, crumbs falling from his lip.
Trevor audibly grunts from across the room and abruptly stands from his seat. "I need to talk to you." he states loudly, quickly dropping his eyes to the floor as the boys look at him. I feel my stomach drop to the floor of my abdomen as I hesitate. Jacks breath hitches on the TV as if he can see what's going on and I choke. "The interviews almost over Trev." Jamie says as he places his hand on my back. "Just sit down and support your buddy for 5 more minutes"
A feeling of sharp heat rushes to my back and I lean deeper into Jamie's hand. "My back hurts" I say quickly as I wince and turn to him. His face softens and he rubs it gently. "Hop in the shower after Stacy's done. The warmth will do you good and it's probably about time that Trevor and Colton head out anyways." he nods knowingly at me. I can feel Trevor's eyes burning holes into the side of my head as I turn my attention back to the TV clenching my jaw tightly. "Robbins" he says softly, still standing and looking at me. "It'll take 2 minutes, I just need to talk to you really quick."
Unluckily for me, Jack bids the interviewer goodbye just as Trevor takes a step towards me. "2 minutes" he repeats, reaching his palm out to me. How have things moved so quickly in the past 5 minutes? Jamie squeezes my arm gently and stands up from the couch. "Colton clean up your shit, I'm gonna run the dishes real quick so come help me." Jamie says in a demanding tone. My eyes still haven't met Trevor's and I'm watching the TV as if Jack is still on. "Fuck no Im staying for this show." He grunts as he kicks his feet back up and scarfs a handful of popcorn into his mouth. My eyes dart instantly to his dirty socks and stand up to push his feet off, avoiding Trevor's hand as I do so. "Go help him Cole, we'll be in my bedroom"
Colton rolls his eyes as I cut past Trevor and make my way to sit on my bed. He follows me like a body guard and closes the door tightly behind him, locking it.
"What's up?" I ask, grabbing a pair of unfolded jeans from my pile of previously started laundry. I fiddle gently with the hem of them as I study Trevors face. His adams apple bobs heavily in his throat as he steps towards me from his place against the door. "Jack stayed over that night?" he asks, tauntingly. "Really?"
I roll my eyes and drop the jeans into my lap with a huff. "Guess so. But what's it matter Trevor? I don't know why you have been so weird about this. You and I both know this isn't the first time this has come to your attention"
"I don't understand how you are sitting there saying I'm acting weird about it" he groans, his mind crawling towards me as his body stays in place. "Marcie don't act like we haven't talked about this."
"We don't have to talk about this Trevor. Nothing about this is any of your concern" I breathe, turning my reddening face from him. The air is silent for a moment as I take slow breaths. I can feel as his energy steps towards me and nerves shoot through my feet, begging me to plant them on the ground so I could begin to run. His hand reaches my shoulder and he lowers his face so he is just inches in front of me. "What's it even matter Robbins? I can't tell you why I care" he says calmly, his hand travelling from my shoulder to the side of my neck. His palm is warm and his fingertips are cool as they spread over my skin. Trevor's stern face breaks as he frowns and turns his face from me when i refuse to look at him. "Go home to Amelia Trevor." I whisper, swallowing all of my pride. "Go home to her and stay out of this." His head drops gently on my shoulder as we both sigh. We stay there for a few moments as we breathe in sync. "Marcie the fact that you can't even talk to me...it......it fucking destroys me."
There it is again.
The broken record screeching.
Jack.
Jack.
Jack.
Trevor.
Trevor.
Amelia.
Before I can speak Trevor let's out a small sigh. "You know I really thought that you were different" He says bitterly, biting his lip aggressively as he huffs.
"That's not fair." I say, feeling the frustration begin to climb up my limbs as he lifts his head from my shoulder.
"Fair?" he laughs, standing up and knocking my pile of freshly folded clothes over. "We let fair fly out the window when you decided to sleep with my bestfriend."
"Your best friend?" I scoff, still trying to hold down my anger. "What about me? You two fight and bicker like children and I'm there through all of it, hearing both of your sides of the story. This isn't a game to me. Not some silly seat in the car you can fight over or the property of either of you. I am a person. A person with feelings. Someone who had to watch you fall in love with Amelia and Jack fall for Amelia while the two of you ruined any chance I had at finding someone for myself. Do you ever stop for one second to think about me?"
His head shakes at me and he turns to face the wall, reaching above his head and outstretching his fingers as if it is his only support in the world.
"Fuck!" he half shouts. "Fucking hell Marce."
I swallow my anger as he struggles against the wall. "You don't know what the hell that does to me. I'm not fucking talking about this with you anymore. Do whatever you want man but I swear to god-"
"Fuck you" I seer, any sort of pity fighting to stay behind my teeth escaping and falling out of my mouth. "Get out of my room" I growl.
He grunts and smacks the wall with his palm, turning quickly to face me. "You don't get to act like I'm in the wrong Marcie. You chose to stay. I choose to fight for you til the day I die. I almost ruined my chances at being drafted to make sure that Jeremy could never hurt you and you sit here complaining about me caring if you fuck my best friend?!" he breathes, clenching at his shirt with white knuckles. "You are killing me man" his voice breaks and he steps towards me as I flinch. "You are killing me because I'm not gonna sit back and watch you fall for him if you refuse to let me do this."
My heart cracks and I feel all breath escape from my body as Trevor rushes towards me and places a hand on each side of my face.