VII

~~~~Hikari~~~~

The next morning came quicker than I thought, but that's what happens when you're completely exhausted from the previous day. And when you hardly got any sleep because of two idiots shouting in the middle of the night when you don't have your decrease hearing aids in.

When I woke up, I saw the sun barely rising through my window and I started my daily morning routine. I got up and stretched, waking up my body and balancing my senses so that I'm not completely overwhelmed by everything. 

Once I was done stretching, I put in my hearing aids and settled them on a specific setting, rubbed some of my salve under my nose and got dressed for the day. I put on my normal jeans and t-shirt with our diner's logo on it, then grabbed the blazer I was provided by the school. They knew that I preferred the male uniform, so I was given both uniforms just in case I wanted a change of clothe preference.

I doubt that I'll use the girl's uniform anytime soon though.

Before leaving my room, I took my headband and tied it around my wrist. I left my room and went downstairs, seeing everyone standing in the dining room. But when I looked into the room, I saw my brother sitting in a single chair and waiting for everyone.

"Okay, so what's the deal with my brother sitting in the middle of the dining room like a creep?" I asked.

"Oh, Hikari, good morning." Megumi greeted me, "Soma just challenged Isshiki to a Food War."

I sighed and walked over to my brother, before smacking him on the back of the head.

"OW! What was that for, Hikari?" He shouted.

"It's too early for your nonsense, so how about we go eat something before it gets too late." I said then turned to Isshiki, "Isshiki, you think you can give my brother a lecture about Food Wars? I read about them in the guidebook before school, but I doubt this dummy read even a single word."

Isshiki smiled and nodded. We all went to sit and eat as Isshiki started talking to my brother.

"You see," Isshiki started, "At Totuski Academy, we have a certain system for resolving disputes between all of the students. And it involves a few specific rules. You may challenge me for the No. 7 seat if you wish, but the guidelines state that you must offer something of corresponding value."

"What would be corresponding value?" Soma asked.

"For something on the level of losing my council seat... even you being expelled wouldn't be adequate."

Soma jumped in shock from the extensive value of the challenge, "What? Why not?"

"Did you seriously not listen to anything Zenji said last night?" I asked swallowing my bit of fish, "The Council of Ten are very influential in the school. Who the heck is gonna give that up without something really valuable?"

"And you didn't think to tell me anything about this before we came here?" Soma asked.

"Why waste my breath? Your skull is so thick that anything I said would just bounce right off you."

"It still would've been nice to know so I didn't wake up at dawn and sit there like an idiot!"

"Then how would you learn?!" I shouted back.

We quieted down when we noticed that our dormmates were staring at us. It happened a lot back in middle school, too, our classmates watching our weird twin arguments like it a drama on tv.

"Anyway, Soma, you could battle me only if I accepted the challenge, and to be honest, I would not prefer you leaving the school. Put simply, this challenge is not going to happen."

Soma groaned loudly, "Are you serious?! But I've been up since five in the morning all ready to go!"

"In any case, going for the No. 7 seat..."

"Is a bit ambitious." Megumi finished for Ryoko.

"And besides, there a few things that you need in order to challenge someone." Isshiki said, "First off, you need authorized officials to declare the challenge as valid. Second, an odd number of judges. And third, the agreement of both parties as to the conditions of the challenge. Only then will things start to come together."

"Oh man. That seems like a lot of hassle." Soma groaned.

'But there is an upside to the challenge." I said, "When all the conditions are met, we're free to battle in any way we want with anyone in the school. We battle with cooking, and I know for a fact there are definitely some people who need a good thrashing."

"Yes, that is Totsuki's number one battle mantra, and it's become known as.... A Food War!" Isshiki finished.

"Well, I guess that's that. I'll just have to work hard in order to challenge you in the future." Soma sighed.

~~~~Soma~~~~

As we continued eating breakfast, I took a glance at my sister glaring at Daigo and Shoji. And this specific kind of glare was something you wouldn't want to be caught in.

"Sis? You need a minute?" I asked, drawing attention to the two of us.

"No, but I do need to make something clear to the entire dorm if that's all right with everyone." She said and everyone quickly got quiet to listen.

"So last night, I know that everyone was supposed to be asleep, but a couple of certain idiots decided to have a shouting competition in the middle of the night." She glared even harder at Daigo and Shoji.

"Now, I know that I explained a few things about my condition last night, but because it's something that people can forget about, I'll explain it again briefly."

She walked over to the two and put her hands on their shoulders, and from the looks on their faces, she was gripping pretty hard.

"With my enhanced senses, that means I can hear a lot better than the average person, so that means that I can hear insanely loud shouting in the middle of the night and it's pretty painful. And because of how expensive my hearing aids, I usually sleep without them when it's the most quiet. So, my dear dormmates, what will we do the next time we decide to have a shouting match in the middle of the night?"

"We... don't." Daigo and Shoji said and sighed in relief as my sister let them go with a sweet smile.

"That's right. Thank you all for understanding. Now, let's get to school, shall we?"

She walked out of the dining room and everyone was left nervous and slightly scared.

"Sorry about my sister, but she does have a point." I said getting out of my chair, "Hikari values her sleep, so when she's out cold, make sure she stays asleep until she wakes up. Just a little warning for you all."

I left them to think for a little bit before they joined me and Hikari on our way to school.

"So sis, how hard do you think you gripped them?" I asked, "They looked like they were in a lot of pain."

She shrugged her shoulders, "Just enough to get the point across."

So it was that bad. Not that I was surprised. No one, and I mean no one, ever interrupts her sleep without feeling a little bit of pain as compensation for their rudeness.