XXVI

~~~~Soma~~~~

I watched as my sister declared her challenge to Subaru Mimasaka, and that look in her eyes made me wish that I was the one to take the challenge. But with the competition being the way it is, I can't take Hikari's place.

But then, she did something that I never imagined she would do.

"Tell ya what, you little stalker, I'll make everything easier on you since we'll be going to battle soon." She chuckled, "the theme for next week's match is western cuisine, right? So how about I make a nice beef stew for the match?"

Just then, Meat-Meat came barging in along with the rest of the dorm and slapped her hand over Hikari's mouth.

"Are you insane?!" She shouted.

"Don't just tell him what you're going to make! I thought you were the sensible twin!" Yuki shouted, and honestly, that kind of hurt me a little.

"Why can't I just tell him? He's gonna figure it out anyway the freaky stalker. Doesn't matter if I tell him or not, he'll just copy me like my reflection in the mirror." Hikari said.

"And giving up being a chef if you lose? What's your deal? You're a disgrace." She grabbed Hikari by the collar, but my sister paid no mind Do you really think that cooking is just a hobby that you can throw away when you get bored with it?"

"Meat-Meat..." Megumi said sadly.

"Don't call me that!" And with one last huff, Ikumi was gone and left us alone with the others.

"Are you serious, Hikari?" Megumi asked, "You would really quit being a chef?"

"Just getting Takumi's Mezzaluna back would be more than enough." Ryoko added.

"Oh, this goes much further than just Takumi's loss to this freak." Hikari looked back up at Mimasaka with a glare, "I want all one-hundred items that you've stolen with your cheap little tricks of shadow trade. You'll return them to their rightful owners, even if it means I lose my chance at becoming a chef and the symbol of my twin sibling bond."

She took out her knife case, all the blade shimmering with preparedness for the upcoming showdown.

"Make no mistake, I will defeat you, Subaru Mimasaka." 

"Then it's settled, little girl. It's a Food War." He replied and then left.

Hikari sighed and leaned back, "Well, that could've been a lot worse."

"Are you insane, Hikari? What made you want to do this as a Food War? Do you have any idea what this could cost you if you lose!?" Yuki shouted.

"I do, and that's why I have to work hard here." He straight face turned to a bright smile, "This is gonna be a rush for sure. Better get to bed early so I can wake up and prepare."

With that, she rushed out of the room, leaving all us speechless. I knew that she was excited, but that glare in her eyes, I could never imagine that she would look at anyone like that again.

~~~~Hikari~~~~

True to my word, I woke up extra early and started compiling all sorts of ideas for beef stew that came to mind. It had to be filling, but not too heavy. And not only do the ingredients have to swirl in harmony with each other, they also have to sit well with the broth of the stew.

I went down to the kitchen and grabbed whatever beef I could find the make the stew, but just as I was about to examine and experiment with them, I heard a knock at the kitchen door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's Soma. There's a reporter kid here to meet you. Says he wants to do a story on your upcoming battle with Mimasaka." My brother called out.