Midnight Visitor

*Hawkeye's PoV*

I yawn and stare at the board, trying my best to focus on the speaker. It's hard. I didn't sleep well last night, and this meeting has been going on for about...three or four hours by now. I rub my eyes and shake my head, trying to clear the sleepiness out of my head.

THUNK.

On my left side, his head hits the table and I think he starts snoring. I admit, that's what I really want to do, but...

"Colonel..." I whisper, kicking him under the table.

"Shh....this a good drea...." he replies, rubbing his forehead into the table like it's a pillow. I roll my eyes.

I kick him harder. Nope.

I look up at the clock, finally deciding to let him sleep until he has to drive me home. Mostly because my car's in the shop and mostly becuase it's raining. And the walk is about three miles. Need I say more?

Luckily, we have ten minutes before time to go.

Yay.

"And that's the plan!" The speaker, which officer is it? I'm so tired. I forgot. He claps his hands together and grins. "Any questions?"

2nd Lt. Breda raises his hand. "Could you repeat the entire thing? I wasn't listening."

A collective groan rises from the table. "Please no..." someone whispers.

The speaker looks up to the clock. "Sorry, can't. Five minutes before we can leave. "

Silently, every single one of us exchanges a look that says Thank god.

When the conference room is mostly empty, I grab Roy's collar and drop him on the table. He groans. "Seriously? I was in the middle of a good dream..."

"We have to go." I stride towards the door. "Well?"

"Right, sorry!" He gets up and starts speed walking towards the exit.

I sigh and follow him out into his car. I buckle up and stare at the window, absentmindedly drumming my fingers against the door. After about fifteen minutes, the car pull into the parking lot and I get out. "Thanks," I say, waving good night.

He nods and waves back, pulling away as I turn towards the building.

Hayate barks loudly when I open the door. He comes running up to me and circles my legs. I laugh and step into the apartment. I feed him and lock the door while he's occupied. He barks again as I get changed for bed. "Good boy," I whisper when he doesn't jump on the bed right away.

I'm expecting to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Nope.

After about an hour and about ten different sleeping positions, I give up and turn the light on again. I decide to take a shower.

The water is ICE COLD when I turn it on. Great. Now I'm more awake then ever. I hope my upstairs neighbors didn't use all the hot water again.

It takes about ten minutes before I decide that the temperature of the water is not going to rise above freezing and I'm better off doing something else instead of risking hypothermia. At this point, Hayate starts barking again and I start thinking about my poor neighbors. This isn't an excited bark, it's more of his "We have a visitor!" bark. Please don't ask how I know there's a difference.

"Who could it be at this hour?" I wonder aloud, running out of the bathroom and into my bedroom to search for some clothes.

The person knocks again and I sprint out into the living room. Opening the door, I sigh. "Oh, it's you, Colonel."

He nods and leans against the door frame. "Can I come in?"

I nod and step out of the way. "Oh," he says as he turns around. "Please call me Roy right now. As long as it's just the two of us."

I nod again. "Can I get you anything?"

He shakes his head and sits down at the table. "You're wet."

"Um..." I sit down across from him. Hayate jumps up on my lap., and I scratch between his ears. Roy looks around, his eyes lingering for a moment on the sink full of dirty dishes. "Haven't done the dishes."

"Oh, yeah, I should probably do that..." I trail off as he gets up. What am I doing?

"I got it." He walks over to the sink.

I blink and shake my head to clear my thoughts. What is wrong with me? Why am I acting like this. He does NOT love me back, and I repeat, does NOT, and will never, most likely. So stop it. Now.

"Hello? Earth to space cadet Hawkeye?"

The sound of his voice jolts me back to reality. I lean my head back and sigh. "Sorry."

"It's fine." I close my eyes slightly and hear the faucet being turned on, followed by a yelp. "What temperature is that water?"

"I think my neighbors used al the hot water again." I sit up. "I need to get out of this place."

We sit in silence for a few minutes. Roy puts the last dish on the drainboard and sits back down at the table. Hayate walks over to his side of the table and puts on of his paws on Roy's lap. I smile, finally feeling tired.

"It's supposed to be rainy tomorrow," Roy says, one of his hands under the table. Hayate barks again. "What time do you want me to pick you up?"

"Um..." I look down and sideways, towards one of the tiles on the floor. "About seven. Nothing big is going on, so I think that's good."

"Okay." Roy gets up and yawns. "Well, I should be getting home."

"And I should be getting to bed." I stand up as well, and wave, "See you tomorrow."

He nods and returns my wave. "Bye."

The door clicks shut, and after about seven minutes, I walk into my bedroom and turn the lights off. I had been staring at the door, half hoping for him to return. To do what, I don't know.

I sigh and flop down onto my bed, not even bothering to pull up the covers, when I fall asleep.

"See you, at seven," I whisper, hugging the pillow.