Memories

*Third Person PoV*

The school bell rang, and the classes spilled out of the school for recess. Kids of all ages banding together into their little circles of friends. Riza's small group of three or four was on one side of the field.

Looking up into the sky, she sighed and picked at the ground while listening to her friends talk. It was unnoticeable to everyone else, but she had been in a daze recently. Given the fact that her father rarely talked to her, and she wasn't allowed to invite friends over, she had a lot of free time at home, usually spent reading. She was bored in school, specifically reading class. Her teachers had noticed this and sent a note home to her father. It was easy enough to get it signed so that she was not in the third grade reading class but in the fourth grade one.

Her friends teased her for this. Daily. They also teased her for something else.

In this class, there was a boy who sat in front of her. She had a crush on him.

And they had caught on.

"Hey! Riza!"

One of her friends voices snapped her back to reality. "Huh?"

"Are you gonna join us or not!"

"Oh, um, yes!" She turned her attention to her friends.

"Daydreaming about him again?" One of her friends jerked her head towards the group of fourth graders nearby.

"Wha?!" Riza glared at her friend. "I don't even have a crush on him!"

"Oh, really? Your face says differently."

She ducked her head down and stared at the ground, feeling herself turn into a bright red tomato. It showed, all over her face.

One of her other friends grinned. "If you don't..." She put a small nut into Riza's hand. "You can throw it at the back of his head, right?"

Riza gulped. "O-okay."

She aimed for a spot in the exact middle of the back of his head. She threw.

He turned around and the nut hit him right between the eyes. Hard. The shock of it knocked him backwards.

She winced. Oh god, what did I just do?

Leaving her friends behind, she waited until his friends had left to go get someone else or something and ran up to him. "I..I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...um..." She trailed off and blinked at him.

"Wait, what?" He was sitting up again and he blinked at her, slightly confused. The nut had hit him hard enough to cause a small cut to form between his eyebrows and there was a tiny bit of blood sliding down his nose. "You mean..you threw that?"

She nodded, feeling ready to cry. That must have hurt. She waited for him to retaliate, probably painfully.

"Wow..." He stood up and dusted his pants off, only noticing the blood once it hit the ground in droplets. "Oh."

"Oops."

"Eh, no biggy," he said, sticking his hand out to help Riza to her feet. She had been sitting down. "I'm Roy."

"Oh..um.." She took his hand and tried to hide her face behind a smile. "Riza."

He nodded and repeated it softly. "Well, bye." He stuck his hands in his pockets and walked off to the nurse.

She exhaled loudly and walked over to the swing set. Just need some alone time, yeah, she thought. That's what I'll tell my friends.

Later, there was an announcement. "Riza Hawkeye, please report to the office."

Nervous, of course, she slowly got up , walked the distance to the office, and slumped down in one of the chair. A second announcement called someone else done to the office.

Roy.

"Oh, hey." He had a bandage over the cut, and he sat down next to her.

Riza didn't say anything. She was too busy worrying about the principal.

The punishment wasn't too bad. It turned out that someone thought that they were FIGHTING, and both of them were stuck inside for the week.

The longest week of her life.