Turn For The Worst

The apartment it engulfed in bright yellow flames.

The best part is?

My apartment is GONE.

"God...damn...it..." I shake my head, the words coming out slow and breathy. I feel a lump form in my throat and I shake my head. I can't cry. Not here. Not now.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I don't have to look at him to know that it's Roy. I hear something that sounds like, "Wow.,"

I swallow a few times. No, no no, don't cry. Riza, don't cry. No. No. No. No.

I swallow again and this time the lump leaves and I'm not in danger of crying anymore.

There is a loud crumbling/crash and my puppy raises his head, cocking it in the typical "confused puppy" look. I open the door and pick him up, hugging him close to my chest.

"Great, just great," I mutter. "My home is gone. Yay. Now where am I going to sleep?" I look around and notice a bench much like the one Hayate was tied to. "I wonder if park benches are comfy?"

Roy clears his throat. "No need to go that far!" He blinks at me. "You...you can stay at my place. I mean, I rented a house , and it's kinda small, but it has a guest room..."

I'm already in the car. "Please?"

***

"You said it was small!"

The guest room has a bed, a dresser and a closet.

"No, I said my HOUSE was small," Roy replies. "There is a difference."

I blink at the room. Hayate has already claimed one of the pillows. I nod slowly, because the house is small. Only one floor, and there is only about three rooms. About the size of my apartment. Which is okay, because I'm used to that.

"Well, good night," he says, walking out of the room ans shutting the door.

Tonight, as soon as I hit the pillow, I'm out.

***

The next morning, I wake up to the smell and sound of bacon cooking. So he's cooking again. I turn my head and notice that Hayate is not on the pillow he had claimed last night. I sit up and stretch, yawning loudly. There is a clock on the wall, reading...

8:30.

"Dammit," I mutter, swing my legs out of bed and realizing that I don't have any clothing except the clothes I was wearing to sleep.

"DAMMIT!"

This comes as a surprise. Normally, I don't lose my temper.

Great.

"You okay?" Roy asks from the kitchen. I shake my head and yell back, "I think I might have to take today off."

I flop back down onto the bed and sigh angrily. Why, oh why, did this happen now? NOW?

Actually, I would probably feel better if this never happened at all.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Calm down. Calm down. Calm-

"Uh...You need clothes right?"

Uh-oh.

"Er...yes..." I start stammering and hide under the covers so that if he sees me he just thinks that I'm hiding because I don't have any clothing on, and not because I literally just starting turning into a tomato and I don't want him to know.

"I'll go out and get some for you, okay?"

"Okay."

He hasn't come into the room yet, so I'm good. I take a deep breath and hold it until I her the front door shut.

Whew.

"Okay, calm down, Riza." Now I'm talking to myself.

Tell me, am I going crazy?

Something seems...familiar...

Of course. I've had crushes before.

But...it's not like that.

I'm still tired, so I end up falling asleep.