The Bull Run

The group are set around a campfire, and Puss is starting his story. The flames are low, and the sky is beginning to darken.

Puss : The running of the bulls at Pamplona... let me set the scene. My first death - I was a young gato, still unsure of my future. Would I be a hero? Or would I remain an outlaw - forever on the run?

(Camera shows a picture of Puss' wanted poster)

I had gone on many adventures - my travels with you, Donkey, and Shrek, a discovery of the hidden city, San Lorenzo, and of course the golden goose. But we do not have time for me to tell you all of those. I had been travelling alone for some time, after separating paths with the fair maiden and gata Dulcinea, and I stumbled upon the town of Pamplona. A place built for - and around - bull races. Somewhere that my name wouldn't be heard.

(A town built around a small bull race colosseum is shown.)

On horseback, I stumbled into this town of mysteries. I was lucky to have found it - I wouldn't have survived without these people's help. They took me in, and helped me back up to full strength. And throughout my days there, I became a small hero in the town. No Pamplonan human had survived that long in the wilderness - they were amazed that a small gato such as I had lasted even half the time. For Puss in Boots, of course, this was nothing.

Kitty : Stop all the boring description. Your story's gonna kill us if you don't speed it up.

Perrito : Is this one of your favourite stories? Were you there??

Kitty : What? No. And yes, I was there. For most of Puss' deaths actually...I just didn't know he died in all of them. You'd think that one would tell their partner when they died!

Puss : Maybe if you stopped interrupting, I'd get onto the part where you came in! Anyway, as I was saying... Survival is no challenge for I, Puss in Boots! I was quickly back on my feet and ready to leave Pamplona. Until, Kitty arrived.

Perrito : Wait, was this before or after Santa Coloma? I think that's an important detail.

Kitty : Before. When we were still young and free.

The scene fully changed to Pamplona, instead of flipping between the story and the campfire. Puss was on horseback preparing to leave the town.

Townsfolk : Gato con Botas! Gato con Botas!

Puss : Thank you, thank you, fair people of uh...Pamplona! Yes that's it, Pamplona.
(turns as he notices a familiar face in the crowd; Kitty. He nods to her then turns back to the people)
Actually, I think I'll stay a little longer - your form of entertainment interests me.
(Gets off horse)
Thank you, kind people of Pamplona!

The townsfolk cheer happily. The camera fades out to black, and fades in showing a bull race festival, later that night. Puss and Kitty are sat on top of a roof together.

Puss : So, Kitty Softpaws, what made you come here? It was me, right?

Kitty : No, idiot. Although, I'm glad you're here. I needed to lay low for a while, and Pamplona seemed like one of the best places. They care too much about these bull races to notice a wanted criminal in their midst. What about you?

Puss : Well.. yeah, about the same. Except I had no choice but Pamplona. Well, you got a bounty on your head? How much? Bet it will not be more than mine!

Kitty : 100,000 gold coins. How about you, huh?

Puss : 500,000! Knew It!
(unravels wanted poster hidden in his boot)

Kitty : Well, maybe that's because I don't get caught - at least my victims don't know that I've stolen from them. That 'P' of yours gives it away.

Puss : When you're as famous as me, you have to! I mean, everyone knows me, Puss in Boots!! Well...except for here...

Kitty : So how long, huh? Till you leave this place and forget it all...

Puss : You know I'm not like that, Kitty. I am a nomad - I live to travel around the world, never staying in one place.

Kitty : If you say so. But we both know that's not completely true.

Puss : Alright, alright. I like it here, it is quiet. Yet this place is full of energy and fiestas. But my heart yearns adventure! And, if I don't keep travelling, I'll get caught by the law. It is as simple as that!

Kitty : We can stay for a while though. Until the law catches up. And then we'll fight our way out, lives on the line! Sound fun?

Puss : You're asking? Hah, you know me too well Kitty - of course it does!

The camera pans out, showing Puss and Kitty's wanted posters gently drifting to the floor.

__ __ __ __ __

Puss wakes up sharply. He looks around quickly, sensing danger. As his eyes reach the ceiling, he spots Kitty. She puts her paws to her lips signalling 'be quiet'. Puss nods and slowly gets up. As he does, he notices a surprising light outside, considering it was still early morning. As Puss gets his boots and hat on, Kitty gently gets down and makes sure the curtains are closed.

Puss : (whispers)
What is going on?

Kitty : (whispers)
They discovered us - and now they're looking for their reward. Of course, somewhere like Pamplona doesn't need the money, but they think it'd be a good reward.

Puss : (whispers)
Then, we run. I was only here for the fiesta, anyway.
(grumbles)
I had a song planned and everything...

Kitty : (whispers)
No time to complain - we've gotta get going. I set them on a wild goose chase trying to catch me, but they'll give up and head for you soon.

Puss : (whispers)
Then, Kitty Softpaws, we leave.
(raises voice)
Now, let's go!

Puss opens the curtains and crashes through the window. Kitty sighs and follows. As soon as he lands, he is surrounded by townsfolk, who are grasping pitchforks, shovels and torches.

Perrito : (interrupting)
So, that's how you die! The townsfolk catch you and then kill you, right? Wow, that's gruesome...

Puss : Those guys stood no chance against me! You will just have to wait and see, Perrito.

AUTHOR'S NOTE - Wow, I ran out of time this part... that's unusual! To keep my short story style, I try not to go over 1000 words, but this time I was struggling to stop.
I mean, anyone who has watched 'The Last Wish' would know how Puss died, but you'll have to read the next part to find out how he got there.
Going into the actual action in part 12, so there's only gonna be one break part (as I call them) in the next 4 parts. I hope you'll enjoy it!
Thanks for reading this far! The fully animated trailer will be on my YT channel (FlameGodAnimations) soon, and the comics are already in progress. I can't wait to share it with you all! See you in the next part, bye!