Chapter 2: You Can Lean On Me

The first thing you notice is a burst of cold air hitting your skin. It isn't hot outside by any means but after that jog with the sun shining overhead, it didn't take much for you to work up a sweat.

The boys seem to all sigh in relief too, the cool contrast soothing their skin, just as much as it does yours.

Then--

It's almost as if all hell breaks loose. Waves of people rush back and forth, SKZ staff members and venue employees alike working fervently to prepare for the coming onslaught.

You freeze for a second, needing a moment to mentally take it all in. The rush you were waiting for...

Here it is.

You aren't given much time to savor it when Chan taps your arm, nodding his head toward where two men stand discussing something a little ways away.

With a wave, Changbin and Han split off, probably going backstage to join the rest of the boys. And you watch as your phone disappears along with them. Quietly, you follow Chan, still shocked at the sights around you but more nervous than anything.

The two of you continue on your path toward the men. Then one of them nods and walks off, leaving you and Chan with the more fashionably dressed of the two, a clipboard held loosely in his hands. Their manager, you're guessing.

You clasp your hands nervously in front of you. Honestly, if you didn't know any better, you wouldn't be surprised if this man was a k-pop idol too. How is everyone here so hot?

You stop a polite distance away and give a light bow as you lock eyes with the man, not knowing what else to do but wanting to be respectful. Warily, he starts to return the bow but Chan practically tackles him in a hug.

"We got it, " he says. The manager pulls his attention from you to focus on Chan, his mood lightening. Chan hands him the flash drive and then steps back to stand next to you. "And this," Chan says as he gestures to you, still smiling brightly despite your palpable nervousness, "this is y/n. We wouldn't have that--or a show to put on for that matter--if it weren't for her."

The manager looks to you again, this time with a little less condemnation. Then he opens the binder he's holding and pulls out a lanyard with a tag saying "Soundcheck/Backstage" attached to it. Much like the one he's wearing. "I'm assuming this is why Changbin texted me saying to find an extra pass?"

Chan laughs heartily, almost doubling over as he takes it all in. "God, I could kiss that man sometimes," he mumbles and you and the manager share a concerned look before turning your attention back to Chan. But Chan simply wipes the tears from his eyes with a nod. "It is."

The manager glances at you again and you know he's trying to gauge what kind of person you are. You stay silent knowing nothing you say can help you nor do you even want to try. Even if you could muster the courage to speak.

Anyone who needs to claim they're a good person or that they won't do anything bad can't be trusted. Your actions should speak for themselves. You shouldn't have to go around reassuring people of your good intentions. So you don't.

Eventually the manager looks at Chan. "Are you sure?"

Chan starts to reach for the lanyard but you open your mouth, stopping him as you address his manager. "You have every right to make me leave if you feel I shouldn't be here, sir." You fiddle with your fingers, trying to rid yourself of the anxiety. "I don't want to cause any grief or cause the boys any trouble. Whatever you think is necessary, it's up to you. I'll understand either way."

You know Chan had meant well, but you also know how many rules he was breaking bringing you here. While it hurts to go over his head and dismiss his well-intentioned offer, you meant what you said.