Chapter 5: Hold It Together

(TW: Mention of SA)

______________________________

One second you're in the downstairs lobby, surrounded by the nauseating commotion, and the next you're in your hotel room. Or you think it's your room. The walls seem to be spinning around you, so much so that it's hard to really keep your eyes focused on any one thing.

The trek up here is one you don't remember in the slightest but all you know is Han's hand in yours, pulling you further into the room. And that one detail, that consistent reassurance of his skin on yours, is the only thing keeping you from willingly surrendering to the terror that's causing you to fray at the edges.

Even so, the fraying worsens with each second that passes. And just like any thread, once that stitch is undone and the string is pulled, it's impossible to stop the whole thing from falling apart completely.

You feel it getting harder to breathe, your chest heavy with the weight of fear. Your mind eddies, thought after thought swirling through your consciousness, yet every single one of them is wholly unreadable. Almost as if they're written in a different language.

It isn't until you see Han hurry back over to you that you notice he had left in the first place. That his hand had left yours for a terrifying moment.

Where he went or what he was doing, you don't know, but now he's bending down to look into your eyes, seemingly trying to catch your attention. Even so, it feels like it takes an eternity before your eyes can clear the haze and you're able to focus on his face.

When you do, you see him talking to you again, his hand taking yours. Though this time, you're able to hear him as your hearing fades back in with awful slowness. "--hear me, y/n? You're okay, I'm here," Han says softly. "I'm here."

Involuntarily, you tighten your hand in his and he seems to understand immediately, without you saying a word. "I won't let go again," he promises, his reassuring smile turning sad. "I won't let go. I've got you. But I need you to breathe with me y/n. You're going to pass out if you keep hyperventilating."

Almost as if he spotlighted it, your awareness floats to your still rapidly rising chest and the dizziness you feel dragging you downward, causing you to stumble to the side.

Han is there in an instant, catching your arm and easily supporting your weight as he leads you over to the couch. Your legs nearly give out before making it to the rough cushion, so you don't so much sit as you do drop, but your legs continue to shake despite the lack of use now. Though you can't quite put your finger on why.

"Y/N..." Han's eyes meet your own again as he kneels in front of you. "I need you to find your way back to me baby," he says, his voice soft and pleading. "Please."

You watch him lift his other hand, pressing something to your forehead. A wet towel, from the feel of it, and he dabs it over your too hot skin a few times. But it doesn't seem to help your inability to breathe with your head getting lighter and lighter by the second.

"Take a deep breath with me, please y/n. In--"

Suddenly, the door bangs open with frightening force and the two of you jump as Lee Know stomps his way inside.

"Where is she?" he growls.

Shaking his head to clear the moment of panic, Han stands. True to his word though, his hand doesn't leave your own. "She's right here. She's okay."

Lee Know's fire-like glare blazes over you, noting every little detail, before he moves to glare at Han. "Does she fucking look okay to you?"

"I'm working on it," Han grits back, trying his best to not give into his own anger. Evident in the way he squeezes your hand tighter unknowingly. "Please calm down hyung, I'm not your enemy here. I--"