Chapter 1

Ravi Singh was always there in her heart, in her brain, bringing her back to a state of bliss every time. Reminding her that it was all fake. That she was ok. And today as she watched the verdict charged Max Hasting as guilty, she heard the sound of an incoming notification. Something she hadn't received in over a year.

/hey Sarge, remember me?/

Pip knew his number. She knew it really well. She had it memorized by heart. It really was him.

/u did it Sargee! we did it!/

Pip felt the tears stream down her cheeks as memories of the day she left came into her mind. The sound of his sobs the day she left were now a part of her. Following her around everywhere. Just like the six gunshots that took Stanley Forbes' life.

A lot of her nights were spent sleepless. The dead eyes followed her every time she closed her eyes. Gunshots replaced her heartbeat and sweat became blood.

/Ravi./

/sarge/

She smiled, his voice filled her ears. The first nickname he had given her. Now one amongst many. Sarge, Trouble, Grumpus, Pippus Maximus.

She wanted to be home again. Her home. Where Ravi's neck met his shoulder. In his tight embraces, smushed against his chest.

/pip ru ok/

/Can I hear your voice?/

As if he wasted no time, Pip's phone lit up. His caller ID. The picture she took of him, sleeping on her shoulder, invited old memories. His head resting between her neck and shoulder after a day at his law internship.

His voice filled the room as she accepted the call.

"Open the fucking door, sarge".

The sound of his signature knock fills her ears. Long-short-long. Her heart paced to match the rhythm as she opened the door.

It was him.