Chapter 5

"We're here, Sarge", Pip fingers intertwined with Ravi's becoming a living thing once again. Pip's fingers tucked perfectly against the dips of his knuckles. "We're back home" 

It felt like a dream. Almost unreal. Pip hadn't thought she'd get to step into Fairview ever again but here she was walking through her childhood town, hand in hand with the love of her life. Her partner in crime. 

They stopped in front of her house. And Pip suddenly felt tears prick her eyes. She had left them all, isolating herself for their safety. That's what she told herself. That this was for their safety. The safety of her family, Cara, Ravi, Connor and everyone she had left behind. Unopened text messages and phone calls straight to voicemail were all they got. She wanted to call back, explain it all but was it really worth the risk.

Josh was soon to be 13. She'd missed two years of his life. Two years she'd never get to see again. 

"What's going on in that little brain of yours?" Ravi taps Pip's forehead. "They hate me, don't they?" Ravi cups her face, resting his forehead against hers, taking away half her sadness. Half her worry.  "They don't, I promise. I've been talking to them. They all miss you. No one is mad". He presses the words to her forehead, wrapping his arms around her. "Come on now", he pressed his palm in her hers, giving it a little squeeze and when she wasn't listening he whispered, "They're waiting."