~18~ Flowers in the rain

Repeatedly, seconds after seconds, all I could hear was the deafening, terrifying sound of gunshots

I clutched my pillow tighter, pressing it against my chest and shut my eyes. Repeatedly flinching anytime I heard the horrific sound.

It was the most ungodly hour of the day, 3:00am, yet I still climbed out of bed and crawled to the window, fearfully peeking out.

The sound was coming from miles away, still in the enormous compound of the villa. The building didn't look anything like a warehouse so I just guessed it was a shooting range.

Dropping from my knees, I held my chest and breath out in relief.

I was tired and sleepy but my hoplophobia kicked in and all I could do was stare at the emptiness of the room.

I had gotten my clothes back from Julía over three hours ago and I was now in one of the summer gowns.

I hated the fact that I couldn't fall asleep because if I could, I would, yet I keep remembering what happened some hours ago.

After Ermanno had left, I briefly cleaned myself up before leaving the kitchen. Ermanno was no where to be found and I melted as Jovani gave me a knowing glance before leaving.

Facepalming, I lay on the floor and fiddled with my fingers. I hated the way it resurfaced in my head every three minutes.

Pulling myself up from the floor, I weakly walked to the bathroom. I scooped some water from the sink and rinsed my tired face.

In the mirror, I saw my exhausted reflection staring back at me. My bright hazel eyes had turned dull and black bags surrounded beneath my eyes.

Helplessness filled me which slowly turned to rage and before I could comprehend what was going on, my left hand was balled up and risen against the mirror.

I punched it with all my strength but not much damage was done to it, instead blood trickled down my hand to the floor.

I wanted to scream so bad as I stared at my wounded knuckles but instead I bit my lips and watched my tears roll down my cheeks.

With blood flowing down my knuckles and glass shattered on the floor, I walked out of the bathroom to the wardrobe.

Ripping the light material of the summer gown I wrapped it round my knuckles.

I was a medical student taking online courses but I didn't want to treat my wound. I wanted it to hurt so much so that maybe I could get used to a little pain.

I lay on my bed watching how the light material quickly got soaked. The shooting had stopped minutes ago and I could feel myself drifting into sleep.

***

There it was. I felt it again, that hopeless feeling of wishing everything was just a nightmare. I hoped I'd wake up and realize that my life these past few weeks was just a bad dream.