Deserved

It was the early evening and the Kestrel made it to the edge of the continent where they would go across the narrow sea which separated the Dragon's Tail archipelago from the mainland. Miles and Mansk became eager as soon as the gunship moved over the water. Both of them were leaning far out of the Kestrel, ready to see the place they were abruptly yanked from by the RDA. It had only been ten days since they were last here, but it felt like an eternity.

They were approaching during a beautiful sunny evening, Alpha Centauri B starting its descent down to the horizon for sunset. Very unlike the low cloud covering that was overtaking the archipelago when they had first arrived. It was almost offensive how beautiful and serene it all looked. The two magnificent volcanic peaks in the distance, the dark, cooled lava flows that looked as though they froze in time as soon as they touched the ocean, and the lush green forests interspersed with beautiful canyons, savannahs, and desert plateaus. It was such a stark contrast to the dark, chaotic storm in Miles' mind.

As the Kestrel moved inland, Miles couldn't help but remember the first time he saw Zu. Her intimidating, icy welcome. Her graceful maneuvering on her dragon-like Ikran and her intense expression. Miles coming to love Zu made him realize that he thought she was beautiful from the very first moment he saw her.

Miles' daydreaming subsided as the Kestrel landed in the clearing with the radio tower. He realized that very soon he would be strolling into the village, just him, Mansk, and some random human woman, without Zu. And then, in his mediocre Na'vi, have to explain to her parents that Zu got injured, what cryo is, and why he needed their blood. He was genuinely terrified. And ashamed.

Bob turned off the engines and Mike jumped down onto the grassy field underlain by dark soil to stretch his legs. Miles and Mansk were slow to get out, Miles especially. As if he was trying to delay the reality of his task ahead of him by holding onto the craft a little longer. Dr. Park got out last, looking around the beautiful Pandoran landscape and remembering the brief time she was here when she first met the recoms—and was in a wild Pandora. Cupcake and Sundae landed shortly after the engines shut off, panting. Although this journey seemed to be getting easier for them.

As far as nighttime accommodations would go, which was nearing, Bob, Mike, and Dr. Park would be sleeping in the Kestrel with the main cabin doors closed off from the Pandoran atmosphere. Miles and Mansk assumed that their huts would still be there and available.

While the humans and Mansk were getting oriented and organized, Bob and Mike planning their dinner and sleeping items, and Dr. Park checking her medical gear, Miles slowly walked up to Cupcake. Dr. Park watched him.

When Miles reached his mount, he just held her head, one hand on her chin crest, the other on her snout. He leaned his forehead into hers, both closing their eyes. After a moment, Miles opened his and started gently scratching her, Cupcake letting out low cooing vibrations.

He spoke softly, "How did we get here, girl, huh? ...I'm so sorry about Karuk. And I know you're sorry about Zu..." He sighed. "What a shit hand we both got dealt."

Miles then adjusted her green cover and saddle a bit, then headed back over to the Kestrel where the group was.

Miles had a nervous look about him that he was trying, but failing to suppress. He cleared his throat. "Bob. Mike. You both stay with the ship. Mansk... Doc... with me," and he looked at them both, gesturing with his head to the forested path that led to the village canyon.

Dr. Park, though knowing this was a serious occasion, was working overtime trying to hide her excitement about visiting a Na'vi village. This is the stuff she always dreamed of doing... with Dr. Grace Augustine... not the man who killed her.