IX. Give me your loneliness and I'll give you mine

[i am so sorry

[i am so sorry.]

🫀

"so, how old are you now, namjoon-ah?" the boy's grandmother, myeong, asked.

the woman was quite short and looked like a stereotypical older korean woman. she spoke with the slightest of accents but that came with her years of living in england. despite her age, she could pass off being a lot younger than she was. from her, namjoon finally saw who he got his dimpled smile from.

"i'm fourteen, turning fifteen in a couple days," namjoon said, his hands gripping on to his thighs as he thought of what his parents could be doing right now as they drove through the night.

"oh my, i can't believe it's been almost fifteen years since we've seen you.." myeong mumbled, glancing behind her to look at namjoon who sat tense in the backseats.

"why... why didn't you?" namjoon's grandfather, a man by the name of seonu, sighed.

"namjoon, your father was a smart man and we raised him as well as we could... however he met your mother one day in college and the boy we knew changed a lot and for the worse. we were told that your mother was pregnant a week after you was born and it took us a month to finally meet you.. then your parents moved and changed their numbers."

namjoon stared at his feet, trying to take in the information.

his parents weren't bad people. his mother was the sweetest angel to walk the earth, he knew it, the poor woman just got pregnant early and didn't want the child and that rightfully hindered her life and made her resentful and always have the need to seek out a youthful life.

his father was a man of wisdom and stoic knowledge. he thought so anyways. there wasn't much to prove it. namjoon never knew his father. not emotionally, anyways. his father was physically present but that's all he could say. the words that namjoon heard from his father's mouth were usually never to him.

"mum and dad... they only let me know early this year that you two were still alive... before that they just told me that you had passed away."

seonu clicked his tongue and rubbed his temples with one hand. myeong sighed sadly. the biggest regret of the couple's life was not stopping their son's relationship. as bad as it sounds, it was true. that woman truly ruined lives and there was hope and prayer in the couple's hearts that their grandchild wasn't a victim of that.

🫀

seonu and myeong were excited, they truly couldn't wait to see their eldest child's girlfriend, especially as how serious the boy described the relationship. it bothered them how they noticed differences in their precious son's demeanour following this courtship but they agreed to not hold it against the couple.

please put emphasis on everything past tense.

because that dinner was a goddamn hellfire.