XV. We'll live all night long then we can go home

god stood me up

god stood me up.
and i don't know why.
the lights are on..
but nobody is home.
- lights are on , tom rosenthal

🫀

namjoon stirred in his sleep, uncomfortable and unnerved from his nightmares. he breathed heavily and sobbed with out his mind's permission. how long did namjoon have to continue to endure this? how many more times did he have to watch his father bring him to the brink of death again? how many more times did he have to run from his blood-lusted mother? how many more times did he have to watch himself fail to reach alice and protect her in time? how many more times? and he begged and asked this question to a god he didn't believe in.

"namjoon-ah? wake up, now, wake up..." namjoon shook and mumbled, trying to claw off the hands that tried to bring him back to consciousness.

"namjoon! wake up!"

the boy squinted and was horrified to find his grandparents and father hovering over him. he cried much harder than he did when he was asleep.

"p-please! please leave me alone! i'll be good- i-i'm sorry," namjoon sobbed out, barely managing to breathe in between his begs for mercy and he tried to shuffle away from the adults, only to just back up into the headboard.

namgil felt disgusted in himself a lot in those past couple weeks but nothing made him want to tear off his face more than this. no 16 year old, no 15 year old, no 14 year old- fuck it, no one should ever have to beg for their comfort or safety. namjoon was screaming and crying and hitting himself as he tried to get further and further away from seonu, myeong and namgil. but his efforts were simply to no avail and he sobbed and begged harder.

no words that any of the three uttered managed to pierce through the barrier of namjoon's screams and make it to the boy's ears so they quickly had to give up trying to reason with the boy and begrudgingly decided to let him tire himself out and wait in the next room. with how hard the boy's crying was, they doubted it'd take too long.

which, of course, they were right about. about 20 minutes later, namjoon's sobs were replaced with weak, choked breaths and sniffles. myeong just glared at her son the entire time that they waited. namgil couldn't bear to make eye contact with the woman.

"you and your fucking wife broke that boy. i should fucking call the police on you two."

"p-please eomeoni, i'll be better... please don't take me away from my boy," namgil whimpered, digging his nails into his thighs. he didn't know if he had ever felt any sort of parental instinct towards namjoon before or if he ever felt the need to protect namjoon before, he truly doubted it. it hurt that he felt those things now, when namjoon was maturing and becoming independent rather than when namjoon actually needed the man.