Chapter 7.

You had been looking forward to a night out with your friend Anita for weeks. You spent hours getting ready, trying on different outfits, and doing each other's makeup. You settled on a cute dress and some strappy heels that made your legs look amazing.

As you walked out of your apartment, Joel called out to you from the living room. "Have fun tonight, you two! But be safe, okay?"

You turned and smiled at him. "Thanks, Joel. We will."

At the bar, you and Anita ordered some fruity cocktails and hit the dance floor. The music was loud, and the bass thumped in your chest as you moved to the beat.

After a few dances, you decided to take a break and grab some more drinks. As you were waiting at the bar, a group of girls pushed their way past you, one of them bumping into you and spilling her drink all over your dress.

"It was a hideous dress anyway, I did yourself a favour" the girl snickered.

You froze, feeling the cold liquid seep through your dress and down your skin. You looked down at your ruined outfit, feeling humiliated and exposed. Anita rushed over, putting a reassuring arm around you.

"Don't listen to her, she's just jealous," she said, trying to comfort you.

But the damage had been done. You felt eyes on you, judging you, and you suddenly wished you were anywhere but there. You made a beeline for the bathroom, hoping to clean up the mess.

As you stood in front of the mirror, trying to blot the stain, you heard the door open and the sound of heels clicking on the tile. You turned to see the same girl from before, with her group of friends in tow.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here," she sneered, walking up to you. "Couldn't handle a little spill, huh?"

You tried to ignore her, turning back to the mirror, but she grabbed your hair, pulling your head back. You winced in pain, feeling tears welling up in your eyes.

"Answer me when I talk to you, ugly bitch," she spat. "You're lucky I don't mess up that pretty little face of yours."

Anita burst into the bathroom, pushing the girl away from you. "Get the hell out of here," she yelled. "You have no right to treat anyone like that."

The girl's friends pulled her away, muttering insults as they left. You sank to the ground, feeling shaken and violated. Anita knelt down beside you, rubbing your back.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her voice soft.

You shook your head, feeling tears spill down your cheeks. "I just want to go home," you whispered.

Anita helped you to your feet, holding you up as you made your way out of the bar.

You got back home, feeling humiliated and hurt. As soon as Joel saw your tear-stained face, he rushed over to you. "What happened? Are you okay?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

You sniffled and wiped away your tears, telling him about the incident at the bar. "She called me an ugly bitch, Joel. Do you think I'm ugly?" you asked, feeling vulnerable and insecure.

Joel took your face in his hands, looking deeply into your eyes. "No, of course not. You're beautiful, Mama. Don't let one nasty person's words bring you down," he said softly.

You felt a surge of emotion as he spoke, and before you knew it, you were kissing him. It was the first time you had ever kissed him, and it felt like fireworks were exploding in your stomach.

But as quickly as the kiss happened, Joel pulled away, looking conflicted. "Muffin, we can't do this. I'm your father's best friend, and you're practically family to me. It's a mistake," he said, his voice tinged with regret.

You felt a lump form in your throat, but you nodded in understanding. "I know. It was just the heat of the moment," you said, trying to keep your voice steady.

Joel gave you a small smile, reaching out to tuck a strand of hair behind your ear. "Let's just forget about it, okay? You're too important to me to risk losing you over something like this," he said, his eyes filled with affection.

You nodded, feeling a mix of disappointment and gratitude. "Okay. But thank you for being there for me tonight, Joel," you said, giving him a small hug before heading off to the couch.

He headed to the kitchen, returning with a mug of hot chocolate. "Here, this will make you feel better." You took a sip, letting the warmth of the drink soothe you. Joel wrapped a cosy blanket around your shoulders, pulling you in close as you leaned into him.

The two of you sat there for a while, talking and cuddling, until you started to feel a bit better. As you looked up at him, you couldn't resist asking, "Do you really think I'm beautiful?"

Joel's eyes met yours, and he cupped your face in his hands. "Of course I do. You're one of the most beautiful people I know."

At that moment, you felt a spark between you two, and before you knew it, he leaned in and kissed you softly.

As Joel's lips pressed against yours, you felt a jolt of electricity surge through your body. The kiss was tender and sweet, but filled with a deep longing that had been building between you for weeks. His hands held your face gently as if he was afraid to break you, and his lips moved softly against yours.

For a few moments, you lost yourself in the sensation, forgetting everything else around you. It was like the world had disappeared and there was only you and Joel, at that moment. But just as quickly as it began, the kiss was over, and Joel pulled away, leaving you wanting more.

As Joel pulled away from the kiss, you were left feeling confused and a little disappointed. The kiss had been soft and gentle, yet filled with a longing that you couldn't quite place. You looked up at him, hoping for some kind of explanation.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. "I shouldn't have done that."

"But why not?" you asked, feeling a little hurt.

Joel sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "It's complicated, Muffin. I've lost someone I loved before, and I don't know if I can handle it happening again."

You felt a pang of sympathy for Joel. You knew that he had lost his daughter a few years ago, and you couldn't imagine how hard that must have been for him.

"I understand," you said quietly, trying to hide the disappointment in your voice.

Joel gave you a sad smile. "I'm sorry, Muffin. I hope you can forgive me."

You nodded, feeling a little numb. The night had started out so well, but now everything felt like it was falling apart.