[1]

P E R S O N
chapter one || poetry class.
laila's pov:

As I sat in the back row, tons of different faces passed me. Everyone was sitting down now, and a bunch of girls kept whispering. The usual. Not saying that girls wouldn't be nice, but nine times out of ten they automatically hated you before even saying hello.

I didn't really want to take poetry class, but I was kind of forced. This was the only option class left. I wasn't too bad at poetry. I liked to listen and hear other poems but I couldn't write my own.

The bell finally rang and then a group of boys rushed in. I didn't take a good look, the three boys rushed to the back of the room. There was one boy, who was tan and had dark brown hair.

He took a seat directly behind me. He was the only one in that row. I heard him clear his throat, and the other boys who came in with him, turned to stare at me. I couldn't help but blush, one smirked to the boy behind me before turning around.

"Okay. So, last class we were reciting poems. Calum, you were up next," The teacher spoke loudly.

She was a middle aged woman, with blonde hair. She was really pretty. She had electric blue eyes. She almost looked like one of the boys' mom.

"I don't have it with me," The boy behind me spoke softly. So he was Calum.

"You write a lot of poems! Just come up and recite one please. You need this mark," The teacher spoke again. I wasn't sure what her name was.

Calum sighed before standing up. He accidentally bumped into me, and said sorry quickly. The three other boys chuckled softly, before quieting down.

"Okay so t-this one, isn't that great and I'm not even finished," he mumbled, scratching the back of his head.

"She had blue skin. So did he. He kept it hidden and so did she. They searched for blue their whole life through, then passed right by and never knew," he finished. His voice was monotone.

The class began clapping and so did I. Although I didn't really understand the poem. The boys beside me just started talking. I guess we weren't doing anything else.

A tall brunette girl started walking towards me. She was really pretty and her eyes were green. A really dark green, and her lips were pink. She had dark eyebrows, and they were so thick and perfect.

"Laila, right?" The blonde girl smiled, taking a seat on the opposite side of Calum.

I turned around to face her, "Right."

"I'm Kelsey. Welcome to Sydney High. Our school is lame," Kelsey laughed, catching a glimpse of Calum but he just remained silent.

"It seems okay," I forced myself to smile. This was so awkward.

"It's going to be lunch time in a few minutes. The girls and I usually walk down the beach to get something to eat. You should definitely come," Kelsey smiled.

"I-I don't know," I shrugged. I wasn't much of a people person and in all honesty I couldn't stand being around girls.

Calum snickered behind me, "Kelsey, just leave her alone."

"Shut up Calum," Kelsey snapped, her blonde hair falling all over her face as he started to play with her hair strands playfully.

"Can you bring us some shakes? Luke and Michael really want one," Calum sighed as he got up, he threw his backpack on casually.

"Fine. You guys have to pay me back though!" Kelsey told him.

"Yeah, whatever," He sighed. Walking towards the two other boys.

"I'm not taking no for an answer! You're coming with us," Kelsey laughed, grabbing my hand.

_________________

"Are you sure you don't want anything? I could run back," Kelsey asked, taking a sip of her water.

I shook my head no. I wasn't really hungry, I just wanted to leave. This school was so typical. Good looking guys, and then the girls who were obsessed with them. Something I didn't want to be.

The two boys sat across from us, and Calum sat next to Kelsey. A black haired girl sat beside Luke. She was gorgeous. She looked bi racial and her hair was thick.She had hazel eyes. She was wearing a green top, and white jeans.

She was sitting next to the blonde haired boy. He had a lip ring. The boy next to him had pink hair, and an eyebrow piercing. They were both wearing black skinny jeans with holes on the knee.

"Anyway. This is Luke, Michael and Natalie," Kelsey said pointing to each of them.

The boy with the blonde hair was Luke, the pink haired boy was Michael and of course the mixed girl was Natalie. They all said hi to me, and exchanged smiles. They seemed genuine, not like Calum's fake smiles. I could tell, and I didn't even have to know him.

"What school did you go to?" Calum asked, his dark brown eyes meeting mine now.

"A school in Brisbane," I told him, running my hands through my hair.

"You're not from Sydney?" He asked again, furrowing his eyebrows.

"She just said Brisbane," Michael interrupted, "Excuse my friend, he's stupid."

Everyone started to laugh - I even chuckled a bit. Calum gave Michael the middle finger before taking a sip of his milkshake.

"I was just trying to make conversation. So you like poetry then?" Calum continued, his dark eyes haven't left mine since.

"I guess. I like to hear poetry," I explained, clenching my jaw. I was nervous talking to him.

"Oh," Calum fake smiled, "So are those like, your real eyes?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at him and Natalie began chuckling.

"Yeah. Why," I laughed stiffly.

"No! It's just the girls here are always wearing those contacts. You never know," Calum told me, "They are really nice, that's all."

"Thanks," I said awkwardly. He continued to stare until Luke and Michael hauled him away.

__________________

i suck at first chapters i'm sorry :(

but it's gonna get better loves

don't forget to comment & vote! :D

and laila is meredith mickleson

pic of her at the top xx