Paralyzed Social Skills

Arthur

"I did not know we'd be making posters for the stall, I'd have come with some supplies too."

I cast a glance at the girl Infront of me, "It's really not an issue "

She let out a sigh before plopping down, "Tell that to my growing guilt. I- wow! Holy moly. You are quite the artist!"

My hands started to get clammy, "It's not a big deal."

She snorted, "Ofcourse it's a big deal,I couldn't draw to save my life."

I didn't reply her,I didn't think it was necessary.

She spoke again, "Tell me about yourself Arthur."

I sighed, "We're here to discuss how to run the stall not become best friends."

"Well then I do need to know the kind of person I'm working with,who apparently is very rude."

"Is this how you usually talk to people,I don't think anyone would agree with these social skills,social Asian."

"With all due respect Arthur,which is none,your crossing a line. Besides,your just jealous of me," she retorted with a smirk.

"Criticism doesn't always equal jealousy Lei,now are we planning or what?" Was my firm reply.

For the next hour or so we discussed how the stall would be arranged as it was to hold various items. Shirts,flags,key holders, anything that would be sold. We decided where the bulletin boards containing information on the various countries and islands would be.

Since the dish we were displaying was our centrepiece we needed ample space for it and we needed enough so we could give out samples too.

We also decided she would do more of the interactions due to my and I quote, 'paralyzing social skills '  and I'd be handling sales and merchandise.

Eventually silence fell upon us again. I turned my attention back to my painting.

"So,I hate to stereotype and assume,but what kind of Asian are you?" I asked,cringing a little at my words in my head.

"Oh so now you talk to me cordially?! I suppose I should make do with what I have. Well my mother is Korean and my father is American hence the blue eyes."

"I think they're pretty,they perfectly match the shade of the ocean in my painting."

Leilani stared at me,and then the faintest tints of red graced her cheeks,and that made me nervous.

"I'm sorry,that was weird to say. Well since you answered my question I'll answer yours too. My parents are both from Hawaii and we travel back home often to see my grandparents. My grandma got me into painting and I've been doing it since I was four. Oh and I almost forgot,I have paralyzing social skills," I laughed.

"Oh look he has a sense of humor," she chuckled, "No wonder you look exotic,surfer boy."

I laughed at her silly remarks.

"Oh shoot I have work in twenty. The stall arrives tomorrow help me set up after school. Later surfer boy!"