17. punch luke in the face

PUNCH LUKE IN THE FACE

Luke's decision to not tell Calum about his sister will go down in history as his biggest mistake.

Telling Calum never crossed Luke's mind, not even for a second. It was a choice he made lightly. Deciding what he wanted for dinner that night took up more of his time than this did.

He doesn't think about it even now, as Calum pummels his fist into Luke's face once, then twice.

Instead, his attention is zeroed in on the two chatterboxes sitting on the porch steps. Well, Lila isn't doing too much chatting. She nods and smiles, sometimes twirls her purple hair around her finger, occasionally gracing Stella with a lengthy response.

Luke doesn't blame her. Stella has a big personality and can be a little intimidating when you don't know her very well.

Calum goes for the blond's jaw a third time, though hesitates when he notices Luke isn't even looking at him. "What's got you so distracted today?"

Luke spits blood from his mouth and punches his friend straight in the nose, not with enough force to break it. "Nothing. Let's keep going."

Calum tracks Luke's gaze and smiles. "Ah. Jealous your fuck buddy would rather spend time with Lila and not you? I didn't know they were friends."

"They aren't." He takes another swing. Calum dodges it.

Luke invited Stella over this morning. They fucked, she saw Lila on her way out. Now here we are.

Luke never intended for the two girls in his life to meet. Yep, Lila has officially been bumped up from hostage to a girl in Luke's life. Progress.

While Stella has never given the boy a reason to not trust her, he's a little wary about her big mouth. If his father finds out about Lila before Luke wants him too, he will be utterly fucked.

Too bad Andrew already knows.

Michael was happy and content laying on the grass, watching the occasional cloud pass by. He lifts his neck, blocks the sun from his eyes, and gets the boy's attention. "You should get Lila out here, teach her a thing or two."

Luke scoffs while Calum laughs. What would be the point? She's too weak to fight anyone off, too soft to want to fight someone. She'd be better off with a damn coat hanger rather than her own hands.

Michael rolls his eyes. "At least show her the basics. Just because we staged the break-in doesn't mean there aren't legit threats out there. She should be prepared."

It's true, the break-in was a faux. It was Luke's present to Lila.

You're all a little lost, right?

Well, what happened when Luke found Lila in the closet?

Lila hugged him. She trusted him. Felt safe with him. She no longer looked at him as someone to fear, but someone who would protect her, and with that, came a little freedom.

Luke gave her the feeling of complete and utter safety. It needed to happen for things to move forward. He thought it was the perfect thing to give her.

He also did it to get her to stay.

Calum's eyes light up as he cups his hands around his mouth.

"Hey Lila! Come punch Luke in the face!"

He receives a hit to the shoulder and a glare from the blond.

"What? I agree with Mike. Just teach her a thing or two. This way we can see if she's got a good punch."