23. pink gun

PINK GUN

"Teach me."

"What?" Luke's startled eyes meet hers.

"Teach me how to fight like you, how to shoot."

Lila has had plenty of time to sit and think about her sheer uselessness the night of the frat party. And if they found themselves in danger again, she'd be as helpful as a slab of wood. Despite her short-lived karate lessons, her fighting skills weren't up to par. She wasn't a very fast runner, and she hardly knew which way to point a gun.

"You want me to teach you how to kill me?" The boy chuckles in disbelief, hand coming to scratch his chin. "Fuck, I need a drink to deal with you."

The pair sit across from each other at the kitchen table, as if in a business meeting. Lila's hands are clasped in front of her, face stoic as she tries to convince Luke that she's serious about this.

"Unless you want me to rely solely on my karate skills, I could totally go krav maga on some bad guys."

Luke has to bite back a full smile. She's had less than five lessons. But her determination was... cute.

"You couldn't even handle a knife. I'm not convinced you can handle a gun." Luke's eyes slowly trail down to her thigh, gesturing with his eyes to where she'd been cut.

A fresh layer of gauze covers her wound. Ashton had to redo it, something about Luke applying too much medicine and wrapping it too tightly. But he tried for her, and that made Lila's insides tingle with appreciation.

"You don't know what I can handle."

Atta girl, stand up for yourself. Just not against me, we're on the same side.

Her stare falters when Luke doesn't budge. Seeing as joking wasn't going to get her what she wanted, the girl tries a more honest approach.

"Look, my existence out there was pointless. I was scared out of my mind. I've trusted the four of you up until this point, I think it's time for you to return the favor.

Luke doesn't bother mentioning the last time he trusted her Michael got stabbed and she got cut.

"Fine." Lila got hurt and Luke didn't like it. He was sure there was some deeper reason as to why he didn't like it, but he refused to let his mind go there. Point is, he didn't want it to happen again. So he caved, easily and pathetically.

"And I don't think it's fair that you– oh. Really? I didn't think it'd be that easy." The shock on her face is obvious and kind of adorable.

"But you have to say please."

By giving in to Lila's request, he felt out of control. He needed to shift the power, show her that yes, he's allowing her to get a gun, but he can also take it away whenever the fuck he wants.

"Please." Lila's pink lips curled into a sultry pout, the single word floating through Luke's ears like smooth velvet.

"Good girl." His gravelly voice sent a whopping four butterflies fluttering inside her stomach.

She liked this little game they played, his praise made her skin feel hot and her toes curl.

Luke stands, walking away without a word. Lila assumes she's supposed to follow and does just that. They come to a halt at the bottom of the basement stairs, she nearly runs straight into his back at how suddenly he stopped.

The boy faces the wall directly in front of them, simply latching his hand onto something and sliding it open.

Lila's eyes go wide. Apparently it was a door, not a wall like she'd assumed during her many nights locked down here.