27. you belong to me

YOU BELONG TO ME

To put it simply, Luke felt like a dick.

The group has been on the road for nearly two hours, and Lila hasn't said a word. She hasn't rambled on about something silly, or asked him dumb questions, and Luke found himself hating the silence.

Luke thought pushing her away was a smart decision, because that was the easiest way to make a clean break. But maybe he was wrong.

Maybe his feelings weren't headed in a romantic direction. Maybe they would be good friends, with a side of Luke wanting to sleep with her.

He could live with that. It's times like these where Luke wishes his mother were around. This is the type of situation he'd need her advice for.

The uncharted territory he's so often found in these days makes his stomach twist. He doesn't know what to say or how to act around her, how to tell if he's taking things too far. This ends in him making idiotic decisions and hurting Lila's feelings, and for some reason, that didn't sit right with him.

He sucks ass at the whole friend thing. He's got the boys, but he wouldn't consider them friends.

The four of them have one thing in common: they've hit rock bottom and have nowhere else to go.

They have an alliance, nothing more. Except Calum and Luke. They're the one exception.

Luke would kill them all if it came down to it, no questions asked. It's how he was brought up, that's the norm to him. Put no one above yourself.

Calum, Ashton, and Michael would do the same. Some might say it's cruel, but to the boys, it's one of the first things they learned in this line of business.

Having people you're afraid to lose puts a bigger target on your back. It's a sign of weakness and the easiest way to get a person to bend to your every will.

That's why Luke is untouchable. It's hard to fall when you have nothing to lose.

The people closest to him are people he would murder if it really came down to it. It's easy to see why he's so conflicted over a naive girl with purple hair. She is slowly changing the game for Luke, making him want to protect her before he even thinks about protecting himself.

He's only seen a relationship like that once. Between himself and his older brother, Ben.

Luke quickly pushes the thoughts of his brother from his mind, his hands gripping the steering wheel more tightly now.

The blond clears his throat before speaking. "Lila."

His raspy voice sends a jolt of electricity down her spine, unfortunately missing the nickname he often called her. She doesn't grace him with a reply, her body shifting slightly. Luke didn't like that. People don't ignore him.

Luke repeated her name twice, both attempts receiving no answer, before veering off to the side of the road. He throws his car in park, slamming his door shut as he gets out.

Lila's door is yanked open with a force that has both her and Calum's eyes going wide.

"Get out." Luke demands.

She doesn't, and Calum lets out a shaky breath, wondering how Luke will handle her defiant attitude.

Lila has gotten too confident, comfortable. She knows the boys, Luke included, won't hurt her. So what's she got to fear? Luke was rude and disrespectful, her attitude is justified.

The blond bends down, reaching his hand out until he's gripping Lila's chin. She's forced to look at him, her features pulling into a scowl at the glint of amusement in his eyes.