37. first kiss

FIRST KISS

Luke is stubbornly selfish. He isn't sorry for wanting, taking what he deserves, and he is not afraid to go to unruly measures to get it.

He wants to know how soft Lila's lips are. Something tells him deep inside that if he takes their first kiss, the world will crack open. She wouldn't be his first kiss, but what if she is the kiss that changes everything?

Their hug is cut short, with Lila's feet meeting the ground, an uncomfortable couple of inches now separating them.

"I made you a promise when you got drunk. And now I need you to promise me something." The girl peers up at Luke through her lashes, as if he's holding her very soul in the palm of his hand.

He winces at the mention of his drunk confession, but blindly agrees to her request. "Sure."

"Promise me you'll catch me." She takes a step forward.

He tilts his head in confusion. "I promise." His hands lay stiffly by his sides before he is extending them with his palms facing up, as if ready to catch her. "Do you feel lightheaded? Like you're going to pass out?"

"Not at all." She says with a shake of her head, stepping between his outstretched arms.

Lila is drunk and must be speaking nonsense. Because she is vulnerable to the truth, Luke takes advantage. "Let me ask you this..." He trails off, hating this new emotional turmoil he's in. "You wouldn't kiss me but you'll get drunk and try to kiss Mason?"

The girl's eyebrows fall into a furrow. She never tried to kiss Mason and sees no point in defending that. The last part of his question is what steals her interest. She thought Luke trying to kiss her was a fluke. If there's a miniscule chance I won't see you again and for whatever reason, I can't live without kissing you at least once, type of thing.

She'd been too embarrassed to ask for clarification.

The powerful realization that Luke does want to kiss her has Lila stumbling even closer, heart fluttering as his hands rest on her waist. Tonight is too much, alcohol and adrenaline are a killer combination. Throw in bone-crushing feelings for a tall blond and who knows what type of shit show will unravel.

Time stands still as their chests rise and fall with the anticipation of what's to come.

"You wanna kiss me." She sings out with a small giggle.

It isn't until Lila is pressing her hands against his chest and squeezing her eyes shut that Luke realizes he may not be as selfish as he thought.

He leans away from her, stupidly so. "You're drunk." He says this as a reminder for the both of them.

Her eyes open. "So?" Lila sees nothing wrong with it. She wants him sober just as badly as she does drunk.

He exhales, meeting her eyes. "You kiss me right now and everything changes. I don't think you're ready for that."

Her cheeks turn a soft hue of pink. Cars breeze by them on the interstate, grounding her to reality.

Luke moves until he's leaning against his Camaro. Distance is important here, because if she tries to kiss him again, Luke isn't sure he will be capable of doing the right thing.

"And what if you're wrong?" Lila challenges him.

Even if he was wrong, Calum would still kill him. One taste of her would never be enough, Luke wouldn't be able to stop until he took everything from her. It would be the absolute sweetest type of corruption.

If she kisses him right here, right now, the temptation to fuck her in the back of his car until she can't walk straight would be too much to resist.

Lila ambles toward him. "What if you're wrong?" She repeats in a soft murmur.