kind gestures

The doorbell of the office rang as I walked through. I was getting ready to deliver mail for the day. The dew on the grass had already gotten my shoes shiny. I guess it rained the night before. After last night, I was having pretty good feelings about Frank. I was going to ask them to go to stargazing with me tonight. My first stop was Poppy's barn. She only had one letter, which I'm presuming is a new recipe or a request for her to bake something for someone. Then, I walked to Sally's and dropped off a package from her favorite acting company. Julie and Wally didn't have any mail, but Frank did. I decided to pay Julie a visit anyways to tell her about the letter. 

"Hi Eddie!" she beamed. 

She was picking flowers and making a small arrangement. Blue, yellow, and purple ones, which were Frank's favorite colors.

"Hi Julie! I've got an update," I say.

"Let me guess, a letter asking them to go stargazing," Julie predicted. 

"Exactly! I'm extremely nervous," I state.

She hands me the flowers and a handkerchief.

"Give the flowers to Frank. But before that, use the napkin to wipe your forehead. You want to look presentable for them, right?"

"Yes," I mumble.

"Great, because they're walking this way," Julie smiles, then ducks into the bushes. 

My eyes darted to find them. There they were, reading a book and walking down the street. Their short black hair was in their eyes, which made them keep pushing it away. They didn't seem exactly happy, but it was the best anyone was going to get from them. It took me multiple tries to utter some words to get their attention.

"Uh, h-hi Frank!" I called out. 

"Good morning, Eddie. Did my weekly magazine come in yet?" they ask, never even looking up from their book. 

"Nop-pe! That comes in on Fr-fridays, remember?" I stutter while fidgeting with a leaf on the flowers. 

"Hm, you seem to be correct. That's why you're in charge. Well, good day," they say.

"Wait, um, I actually have- have something for y-you. I hope you like them," I speak up.

They look up from their book to look at me. Frank's already pink cheeks became red. Surprisingly, they completely closed the book and grabbed the flowers from my hand. Our thumbs brushed, which made them quickly pull away. 

"What a kind gesture, Eddie. I do appreciate them. Hopefully it attracts some butterflies while I take my walk," they claim.

"No problem! See you around!" I cheer.

They walk off, clutching the flowers and card close to their chest. I feel out of breath, so I lean up against Julie's fence. 

"How'd it go?" she asks.

"Good. They really liked the flowers-" I sigh, out of breath.

"Let's just hope they like them enough to like you," she laughs.

"Yeah, I hope," I mumble.