baking therapy

I kissed them. That thought stuck in my mind and predominated over everything else. The only thing I wanted was to have them pressed up against me again. It hurts so bad because I know I could never tell them that. I don't have the confidence to.

"Eddie, don't you agree?" Poppy questioned.

I sat down the bowl I was mixing and tuned back into our conversation. Me and Julie were helping Poppy bake a batch of cookies for a client. I was supposed to be mixing up some of the finished dough, because I had the strongest arms. Instead, I was daydreaming about Frank. And they could definitely tell.

"There he goes again, off in Eddie land. He never pays attention anymore," Julie remarked. 

"I have a lot to think about," I claim, accidentally resting my hand into a pile of flour. I quickly pull up, sending flour everywhere.

"Oh shucks, I'm sorry Poppy," I sigh.

"Don't worry about it Dear, I can just sweep it up later. Now, what's on your mind that's making you feel so different?" Poppy comforted. 

"I have a crush on someone," I confess.

"My, I figured so," she responded.

"And it's on Frank," Julie blurted.

"Julie!" I retorted.

"It's quite obvious, hon. The way they look at you gives it away," Poppy explained.

I got a bit confused at that fact, considering I thought they hated me. I didn't know I was that oblivious to them.

"Do you think they like me?" I asked. 

"I usually don't go around telling everyone's business, but let's just say that we've talked about it recently. They feel too nervous to ask you out," Poppy explained. 

That gave me all the courage I needed. 

"Poppy, do you mind if I run out for a second? I have to go do something," I question.

"Not at all, Dear. Good luck!" she responds.

I quickly throw off my apron and dust the flour off my shirt. Frank's house was not too far away, but I ran the whole way there. By the time I reached their porch, I had lost all my breath. I looked at my reflection in the mirror to fix my hair, then knocked on the door. They answered immediately.

"Eddie?" they greeted me.

Although I was out of breath from running, their appearance took away any air that was left. They were so dressed up for someone who just stays and home and reads. I loved the way their midnight blue dress flowed at their knees, just barely brushing them. The butterfly pattern on the side added so much color and really showed their personality. It's funny how you could know someone for six years, but one little event can make you realize just how gorgeous they are. 

"Frank, how  are you?" I puffed, still out of breath.

"Good, but what about you? You don't sound too good," 

"I have something I need to tell you,"

"Well, what is it?" 

"I'm in love with you!" 

The door slammed shut into my face. I sat down next to it and waited for the door to come back open. For the first time in my life I had the confidence to do something, and I'm not going to let it deplete because of this. Shivering because of the cold, I let a couple of tears slide down my cheeks. Rain came along shortly after. The door peeped open. 

"Come inside, and make sure that your shoes are clean," Frank whispered from behind the door.

I quickly wiped my tears and jumped up faster than I ever had before.