"Eddie, Dear,"

I waited in our spot for them to show up. My hands were shaking from nervousness. I hoped they had read the letter. If not, then I was just waiting in the cold for no reason because my jacket wasn't helping.  Finally, I heard the crunching of some leaves behind me. Frank came and sat beside me. The sun was just now setting. 

"I'm a little early, aren't I?" I say.

"Yes, it's not quite dark yet. But I suppose we can sit together and wait for them to come out," they suggest.

We sit in silence, about 2 feet away from each other. I don't really look up at the sky. I just look at their hands, the way they cradle their legs. Oh, how I wished that I was holding their hand. 

"I'm sorry I had to kiss you the other day. I understand if that was a violation of your privacy. I understand if you don't want to be friends with me now," Frank sulked.

"Oh, it's no- no problem! I- I apprecita- enjoye- uhh. It's just, just acting, right? Don't stress about it, oh and look at that color in the sky, isn't it pretty?" I try to distract.

They sigh audibly, stretching out on the grass. I do the same. As it gets darker, the stars start to gleam more. They remind me of their eyes. Everything reminds me of them.

"Eddie, why exactly did you call me out here tonight?" Frank asks.

"It just felt like a nice night to spend with a friend. Just, so... pretty," I lie.

"Are you sure? You don't feel different?" they pester.

"Nope. Are you sure that you're feeling ok?" I counter.

"I- I don't know. I definitely feel different," Frank sighs.

"About what?"

"About you,"

"What do you mean?" 

"When I kissed you yesterday-" 

I turned my head to look at them. They did the same. Tears filled my eyes. Was Frank actually about to confess their love to me? The thought of them saying I love you made me tear up.

"Forget it, It's not that important anyways," they mumbled. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start crying," I gasp while trying to get them to finish their sentence. 

"It's ok," they claim. 

"Do you want to finish what you were saying?" I pester. 

"I don't think we're ready. Especially you," 

"But I am! Please, I want you to be able to talk to me. C'mon, it can't be that bad. If it's what I think you're gonna say, I would love to hear it," 

"Hypothetically, what if I said that I enjoyed kissing you? That you made me tremble with fear. And not in a bad way, in a what am I going to do with my self? And maybe sometimes I catch myself looking at you more than usual. Just not being able to tear myself away from you." 

"Is that why you feel different? Am I making you feel bad?" 

Frank turns on their side and grabs my hand. My face turns red. God, why is it every time I see them I have to turn red? I can't believe they're even talking to me. Usually we sit in silence. And I can't believe they said they enjoyed kissing me. Frank doesn't like touching anybody, ever. 

"Eddie, you could never make me feel bad," they desperately state. 

"You- your- you-um... then what do I make you feel?"

"Nervous. But in a good way. In a way I just can't get enough of it," 

The light of the stars gleam in his eyes. My heart drops. Then I look at my watch. 

"Oh my, it's ten o'clock! I've got to deliver mail tomorrow! I gotta get to bed!" I exclaim. 

"I do suppose I should get home too," Frank complied.

I turn to tell them bye, but I think of something much more daring. I grab their waist and pull them against me. 

"You have a good night, now, darlin. We wouldn't want you to be too tired," 

"Eddie, I-"

I stop their words with a kiss on the cheek. They freeze up in my arms. The blush on their cheeks gets even brighter. I just look straight into their eyes for a while while they try to fathom what just happened. When I feel like they'll be able to stand without falling, I let go. 

"See you Frank, darling, " I say

"Goodnight, Eddie, dear," they respond.

My heart skips a beat. Did they really just call me dear? I know it is my last name, but also they paused. In-between. Frank called me dear! Frank never calls anyone nicknames! Maybe they were actually going to tell me they loved me. What if I took them out on a date this Saturday? They can't confess their love if I do it first.