3. The Plate Falls

Since tha moment, she had been hiding from the prince. Kundavai and the other girls thought that she was timid. She had guessed that the prince would hate her now, it was wildly known that her uncle planned to arrange her marriage with Ponniyin Selvan, thinking that he will succeed the throne after Sundar Chol. "You clever girl" Were the words the girls used to use to tease her with. She didn't like that. Even though her Akka stood for her. (Akka as in Kundavai)

She already was consumed by guilt and embarrassment. 'How big of a fool have I been? ' she thought to herself. 'I had said soo many things to him when I thought that he was a Yaanai Paagan. I had even offered him a place as the Chief of the Kadambulur elephant brigade! Kadambulur! a small fraction of his own kingdom! I must say sorry to him somehow'

However she wasn't abe to sorry to him during his whole stay, she was to embarrassed, shy and ashamed to do so.

The next day she was sitting on a bench in the garden, thinking of her Yaanai Paagan, when a maid came running.
"Devi, the Ilaya Piratti had called you to her chamber." With this she left for the palace.

_._._._._

"Why did you call me this urgent Akka? What's the matter? " Vanathi asked to Kundavai.
"Arul mozhi is going to leave today for his expedition, you and the other girls are going to hold the aarti thattu, and you would be the one to arti the prince. So... I want you to get ready. "
"That's ok Akka, but why me? "
"Well.. I am going to do it, but I also want you to do it after me, as you are the one who is going to marry him" Kundavai said arranging Vanathi's hair, with a big mischievous smile on her face.
"Akkkaaa..... " Vanathi retorted with a blush on her face. But inside her head she thought that this was the best apportunity, she will say sorry to him through her eyes.

Needless to say, Kundavai wanted Vanathi to marry her brother more than Vanathi's own uncle.

_._._._._

Vanathi stood there with an aarti thattu in her hand, when the trumpets stared to be heard, the drummers began, as the prince came out of the Kali temple, with the blessing of the goddess. People started to rain flowers on him. Every person giving him the best wishes for his Voyage. He started to near them.

After Kundavai was done with the send off artti of Arun mozhi, he turned towars Vanathi with a smile. She wasn't able to register this whole thing, hence when they made an eye contact, Vanathi fainted. Her Aarti plate fell from her hands, and made a big clanging sound when it reaches the ground.

Kundavai rushed to catch her. "Thambi, Vijay bhava, may you be victorious on your mission. You should leave now, I will take care of her. " Arunmozhi bowed and touched her feet for her blessing.
"Yes akka, I will leave shortly after making sure that she is fine. "

As they rushed to Vanathi's chamber, everyone's eyes fell on the fallen thali. They began to mummer amongst themselves. "The aarti thali fell from her hands as he was about to leave!" "Oh! This is such an ill omen" "But, look! The lamp on the plate is still burning! " "What could be more more auspicious than this? " "The prince will be victorious in his expedition! "

They took her to her chamber. Vanathi slowly regained her consciousness, she understood that her head was on her Akka's lap. She looked around the room and saw the girls mummering and whispering between themselves. They well calling her many foul things for falling in front of the prince. Just then Ponniyin Selvan entered.

"How is she Akka? " He asked
"She is fine now, her father, Kodumbalur Illaya Vellar, had bravely laid his life down in the Singhala battle, she might have thought of that as you faced her. You are also going to Singhala only na, so she fainted. "
"Oh! So she is the Kadambulur princess... Well Akka, I should leave now.. Keep sending letters occasionally, updating me and inform me about her too. " He said, taking her blessings.

As he was leaving he saw back and looked at Vanathi and smiled. The look in his eyes told her that he still remembered the elephant instance.

•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••
( A/N )

I hope that you guys like this. Do you think that Kundavai is the biggest Arulmozhi - Vanathi shipper? Instances mentioned are inspired from the book. If any confusion let me know! :)

Any suggestions and feedback appreciated.

∆ Requests Accepted ∆

_ All work is original. Do not copy _