10. The reply

Vanathi was sitting on the diwan in her balcony. Kundavai was going to return to Pazlayarai this very evening. That news had brought some life in her. Even though it had been merely a few days since Kundavai's departure, it seemed years to Vanathi. As her Akka was one of the only people who believed her. She was thinking about Kundavai, when she heard a knock on her door. She knew that it was a maid because of the giggling of the bangles.

      "Come in!" She said without looking. She heard the door open and the sound of some anklets also accompanied it. The noise stoped abruptly behind her. Vanathi sighed and looked around towards the maid. It was her favourite and most trusted maid Aamani.
   "What is it Aamani?"
   "Ilavarasi, a messenger was here, he said he had a letter for you." Aamani said, holding out a letter to her.
   "From where?" Vanathi asked, curiosity taking over her.

      A mischievous smile appeared on Aamani's face. She sat on a stool near her and kept her elbow on her knee and looked directly in Vanathi's eyes and said...
   "A certain someone, from certain somewhere." Aamani holded out the letter.
   "Aaiyo! Just teel me na!"
   "It says that it is from Singhala..... Do you know anyone from there? Maybe a certain Ilavarasare?" Aamani said her expression going from mocking confused to slightly teasing to a full on teasing smile within a sentence.

      A blush appeared on Vanathi's face. Aamani was her friend since childhood. She was her personal helper and maybe some of the only maids whome she trusted. Her Akka was also fond of her. It was by her hand only, she had sent the letter to her Yaanai Paagan.

      "Be in your thoughts Akka, I am going to leave it here for you .... Call me if you want to send a letter... I am going back to work." She said getting up and kept the letter by Vanathi's side. She left after joining her palms as a good bye. But not before giving Vanathi a very teasing wink.

      Vanathi stared at the letter, not being able to comprehend it. Ilavarasare had written back to her? Ponniyin Selvan had sent a letter only for her? Her Yaanai Paagan? Bubbles of happiness bursted in her. Her hands were trembling as she took the letters in her hands. A smile playing on her lips.

      She took a deep breath and opened it to be met with a handwriting she had only seen in the letters which were sent to her Akka on a regular basis. She calmed herself and started to read it.

To Kadumbalur Ilavarasi Vanathi,

      Don't worry Ilavarasi, I haven't mentioned this or your letter to Akka. And thankyou for the birthday wish. I hope that everyone there is fine. And what are you sorry about? Have a good day.

Yours sincerely,
          Arulmozhi Varman

      And just like that the letter was finished. She went through the letter several times. Yes, it was small and very to the point, but it was a lot for Vanathi. She closed the Olai carefully and placed it in a box which held all her treasures:
°A simple but precious bangle which belonged to her mother.
°The last letter her father had sent her.
°A Kadupul flower (now withered) which Kundavai had given her when she first met her.
°And now a special Olai which was too close to her heart to loose.

_Time break_

      Vanathi was laying on Kundavai's lap, while Kundavai read the lastest letter from her Thambi. She was also playing with Vanathi's hair.
   "Anything new Akka?" Her eyes were closed.
   "Nope, just the regular.... Though he is sad that I said that he looked like a tomato." Kundavai replied with a chuckle.
   "Oh.."
   "Kanne?"
   "Han Akka?"
   "Are you fine?"
   "Yess Akka... Why wouldn't I be?"
   "You seem too tired and sad all the time..."
   "It's nothing Akka, I am fine-"
   "Kanne... I have heard what some people are saying, even my Sakhis! I want you to remember that it's not true... Ok? You are the most selfless and good natured person I know..."
   "Hmmmm" Vanathi was on the verge of going in a deep slumber.
   "And we are going to go to the astrologer sometime in the next few weeks..."
   "Ok..." Vanathi said dozing off.
   "Oh Kanne..... Please take care of yourself... I don't know what I will do without you!"

_In Singhala_

      Arulmozhi was laying in his tent, rereading the letter his akka had sent him. Still frowning while reading the part when she said he looked like a tomato... What did she mean by it? a TOMATO! Seriously?

      After some time, he sighed and kept the letter back to its place. He used to collect the letters which Kundavai used to send him in a nice pouchy box. (Well, the real treasure of letters was in a big trunk back home, which held all the letters, this was just for travel purposes, but still)

      Afterwords he was still having trouble while sleeping. His thoughts wandering here and there... He tried changing his sides in his sleep but to no avail. Finally when he wasn't able to hold any longer, he started to wiggle something out of the mattress. An Olai.

      He quickly straightened up in his laying posture, and went through the letter again..... The edgy but gentle handwriting, the respectful words..... Everything. He hated why this was happening, why he had been reading this letter every night. He reaaaly tried hard not to.... But something just had gotten inside him.... 'Oh Parameshwa! What is happening with me? Why am I acting this way?' he thought

      After some time he had been able to sleep.... But the thought of a certain Ilavarasi still hadn't left him.

•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••~•••••
(A/N)

I am sooo sorry for the delay.... but a lot has been happening.... but I have worked out a system now, so I would be to be regular now. I hope that you guys liked this chapter. If any confusion let me know! :)

Any suggestions and feedback appreciated.

∆ Requests Accepted ∆

_ All work is original. Do not copy _