epilogue

~A few months later~

Will you be my boyfriend?

I giggle at how those words sound in my head. What will be Jeongguk's reaction if I say them out loud? I wonder about all the possible replies he might give as I lazily brush my teeth in front the small mirror in my small bathroom.

On the top my bed sits my backpack. Packed up and ready to go home. A different, older version of me would have been bouncing with joy today. The one who hadn't met Jeongguk. Eighteen months of military service. Done. Just like that.

My frequent yawns reveal that I wasn't able to sleep last night. I freshen up and go to the canteen. Gwangju HQ. This place was exciting at the beginning. Huge premises, lots of facilities and lots of food. But now, it's nothing different from a fancy jail. At least Moon-Byul's here, to suck some boredom away.

After an uneventful breakfast, I retrieve my phone back from the office. Brief and awkward goodbyes are exchanged between Chris and me. Kai's on vacation so I don't get to say bye to him. When I switch my phone on, the wallpaper of Yeontan licking my face makes my lips curve into a tiny smile. But the notifications on top turn that tiny smile into a wide grin.

Gguk: *drumroll* finalllyyy comes the day when one of ROK's most hard working officer will be free🎉 I'm soo proud of u Taetae!!

Gguk: I can write a whole heartfelt paragraph congratulating u but......why send messages when you can say the words out loud in person ;)

Gguk: ill be there before the train departs....cyaa

Me: thankss💜

Me: omg, i love your surprises. Can't wait!!!

_____

"Keep in touch Taehyung-ah," Moon-Byul gives me a quick side hug and then ruffles my hair.

"Yes, of course!" I smile and tell her. The driver who's waiting for me outside honks twice. "Bye, and thanks for being my friend." Um. That sounded weird.

Moon-Byul chuckles. "Sure, it was my pleasure. Now go quickly....the driver doesn't seem to be in a good mood."

I smile at her one last time and then start walking towards the main entrance of the HQ, with only one of the straps of my backpack slung over my shoulder. A stupid habit which makes my shoulder hurt later.

I open the door of the passenger seat. "Hey sorry-" I almost laugh out when I see Jin sitting in the driver seat. "Hyung, hi!" I shut the door and Jin starts driving.

"I didn't know providing taxi services is a part of a Major General's duty," I joke, looking out of the window, watching the HQ building shrinking as we drive away.

"Oh I'm not here as a Major General. I'm here as a friend," He says with a gentle smile. "So, what's the first thing your gonna do when you get home?"

"Cuddle Yeontan." I reply within a second. "And take a loooooong nap on my bed."

"Awesome," Jin chuckles. "How are things going with Jeongguk?"

"Um...good. He's coming to say goodbye-" Jin has this weird smirky expression on. "What's with that face?"

He clears his throat and turns his face back to normal. "Uh, nothing- I mean...I'm really happy for him you know? I was observing him the other day and he looked really.....dreamy. And always in a good mood. He looks like he's in love."

I hum in response, looking out the window cause I don't wanna get caught blushing. And after Gguk gets mentioned, my patience starts thinning. I wanna see him. Hug him. Kiss him.