Chapter 27

In the morning, Amar woke up to his favourite sight.

She's so gorgeous when she's sleeping peacefully! She's gorgeous even when she's awake. I wonder how would she look in a little red lipstick. Even at our wedding, she was wearing natural or soft shades.

Amar took a deep breath, smiling, adoring his wife.

Maybe fate had it all written. Maybe we are meant for each other. Amar thought while he felt a sudden rise in his heartbeat. But then his practical mind reminded him, What are you even thinking, Amar? I and Haseena can never be like that. I admit, she's beautiful. But what about love? You don't love her. Nor will she ever love you!

Amar got back to his senses but his eyes were not willing to turn away from Haseena. No matter how much he tried to not get attracted, she was tempting. Amar felt shameful for how inappropriately he was getting attracted to his colleague-turned-wife. The typical man in him would tell him it wasn't wrong to get attracted to her for she's his lawfully wedded wife and he has the right to think of her in any way he wants to. But he was never taught to objectify women like that. He knew, even if she was his wife, he has to keep his thoughts in line for he ought to always respect her and value her choices and opinions.

Haseena slightly stirred and opened her eyes. And the first thing she saw was Amar ogling at herself. Haseena got a little surprised suddenly seeing his face. His intense stare made her feel conscious and she immediately pulled her blanket over her chest, hiding all of herself beneath it except her face. And Amar finally realized she was awake. He turned away getting embarrassed. Then rushed to the washroom.

...

Amar dwelled upon his newfound feelings a thousand times. Though it was just mere attraction. He could just ask Haseena out to give this relationship a chance. But then he was reminded of her reaction when he had first asked her to give them a shot in the hospital before they were married. And he decided otherwise.

Amar's eyes fell on Haseena who was now pacing in her cabin while talking to someone on the phone. Haseena appeared quite nervous.

"I don't know..." Haseena spoke and the nervousness was evident in her tone, "Karishma Singh, you know that we can't get a divorce for until a year."

"I know..." Karishma spoke from the other side of the phone, "Then ask Ammi to stay with you for a while."

"I wish. But what am I gonna ask Ammi? That I'm uncomfortable living alone with my husband, so stay with us!" Haseena couldn't feel any ease having to live with Amar alone.

"Madamsir, are you hiding something from me? Did he do something that is making you uncomfortable and you're not telling me about it?" Karishma showered questions.

"Karishma Singh, you're once again jumping to the conclusion. Try to understand! It's not him it's me!" Haseena made an exclamation, "He... He's always on his best behaviour. Always trying to make me comfortable. He still keeps insisting I take the bed and he'll take the couch. He wouldn't even let me enter the kitchen. Even last night he cooked the dinner and washed the utensils. He's the kind of man any woman would dream to have as a husband..."

"Then what is the issue? You're already married to him! Just have it with him if he's so nice." The sarcasm in her comment didn't escape Haseena's notice.

"No. I can't have it with him." Haseena replied, "I cannot have it with anybody! For I don't want to have it. I don't even want this marriage. This is... this is just nonsense. Two people with no compatibility, no love, and no intention to carry on the relationship are being bound to each other. I feel like I'm forcing myself on him! He's a young guy. Even he has some expectations from marriage. Even he has some desires or needs whatever you like to name it! I can't just avoid him... That is not possible when you're married to a man, live in the same house, in fact in the same room as him!"