Chapter 2 - Chase Down the Pit Lane

The garage had red, yellow, and black all over the walls and Red Bull logos anywhere that they had space. Cecilia had grown up in f1 garages but they were nothing like this one. The Monaco Grand Prix is a race that they have every year and so everyone has an almost permanent garage for the races here. Both of the cars were in their own garages and many of the engineers were scrambling around the cars tinkering with wires and switches. One of the team's managers walked up to them, and greeted the two, "Hello, Horner, and I don't believe we have officially met but my name is Micky." Cecilia shook his hand and said, "Yeah it has been a while since I've been on the circuit but it is so nice to meet you, I'm Cecilia." Her father gave him a farewell and then they walked into one of the meeting rooms where engineers, managers, and even the drivers were waiting. "Hello everyone," her father said and everyone scrambled to their feet to give him a handshake. Many people were scared of her father and you could tell the ones that weren't by the way that they greeted him. Those that have known him for a long time stayed seated and gave him a simple smile while those that were afraid of him stood and gave him a formal greeting. After their long greetings, he said, "I have brought my daughter Cecilia with me today. She will be joining us on the circuit and will be helping out wherever needed." Everyone gave a polite smile and nod to her as she stood there while her father spoke. She sat next to her father at the long table and they began their meeting. Her father sat at one head of the table and she sat at his right hand, across from her was the lead engineer, and next to her was the one and only Max Verstappen. He had said hello to her as she walked past and she gave him a slight smile. They had grown up together on the grid as her father coached him, in unison with his father, on the f3 circuit. Smalltalk began throughout the table as most meetings started and Max looked over at Cecilia. "Hey Cecilia, how are you doing? I haven't seen you on the circuit in almost 5 years," He said. "I've been in uni mostly and haven't had the chance to come around the circuit. I've really missed it tho," She said with a smile. "I still remember playing chase in the garages when we were younger as our dads talked about all of the important stuff," He said and they both laughed. For almost 4 years straight they saw each other and then Max went to f2 and they lost almost all connection. It was only last year that they saw each other at a race and said a brief hello before being hurried away. "I remember we always had to pretend like we weren't playing but would always run after each other when they turned their backs," Cecilia said with a laugh. Max had the biggest smile and she could see how much he had changed in all those years. His jawline was more defined, he has a mustache now, and his voice is almost an octave deeper. They both laughed as they reminisced on their childhood when her father cleared his throat as a signal to start the actual meeting. She turned to look at her father but could still see Max still smiling at her before he turned to look at Christian. The meeting went on for what Cecilia felt were hours. Both she and Max were zoning out by the end of the meeting. Max had no real reason for being there as the topic was mostly budgeting and car design. Checo sat at the other end of the table and occasionally pitched in an idea. Once the meeting had ended they all got up to shake hands and say any words they didn't have the chance to say. Her father was talking to the head engineer and saw Cecilia waiting for him, "You can go wait in the garage if you want, we might be a few minutes." She nodded and walked out just as Max was finishing his conversation with someone on the team and followed out the door behind her. Cecilia went to wait in the corner and just as she was about to pull out her phone Max walked up behind her. "Hey, some of the drivers are hosting a party tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to go? I can drive you there and back," Max said almost nervously. "Yeah, that sounds like fun. I'll have to check with my dad because he's being really strict about parties but you're going and he trusts you," She said with a smile. She was finally going to be able to have fun. "I can ask him with you if you want. That always worked better when we were little," He said with a small laugh. She smiled and they walked back into the meeting room. The room was empty now except for the head engineer and Christian. Her father looked up as the two of them walked in and smiled, "This looks all too familiar. What is it you two want?" Her father said and shook the man's hand and nodded him goodbye. "I was wondering if I could go to a party tonight?" Cecilia said, interlocking her hands in front of her. "It's just a small event that some of the drivers are putting together," Max said. They looked like two kids trying to convince their father to have a sleepover. "I guess that's fine. But how will you get home?" He said and crossed his arms. "I can drive us there and if we have anything to drink then we will uber back," Max said and also folded his hands in front of him. "Fine. I trust you to get her home safe," Her father said and began to walk out of the office. "Well I guess that technique still works," Cecilia said with a smile. "I guess it's just my charm," He said jokingly and she gave him a light punch as they walked out the door. "I guess you really do still have a big ego," she said knowing it would get to him. He turned around with a shocked look and began to run after her. She ran out of the garage and down the pit lane. He ran after her and they were both laughing hysterically as they passed all of the other teams' garages. It was just like they were 12 again and running around the paddock. Cecilia finally slowed down and Max caught up to her and wrapped his arms around her and picked her up. They were both laughing so hard that Max's knees gave way, dropping them both to the hard tarmac. Max was laying sprawled out on the concrete and Cecilia's head was on Max's stomach from the fall. They were on the ground in front of the Mercedes garage and their whole team was staring at the sight that was before them. Lewis Hamilton came out of the garage and walked over to them, "Are you two alright?" he said looking down at the two of them dying of laughter on the ground. Cecilia got her composure and sat up realizing that she just ran down half the tarmac with Max Verstappen chasing behind her. Lewis offered her a hand and he pulled her up from the ground. "Wait. Cecilia?" Lewis said after gaging who he just helped up from the ground. She smiled and gave an enthusiastic nod. "Oh my god it has been so long since I've seen you," He said and gave her a hug. Max got up from the ground with a sigh and said, "Lewis why didn't you help ME up from the ground?" Lewis laughed and joked, "Because you are the enemy." Cecilia laughed and Max said, "Cecilia is the daughter of the enemy." They all laughed and looked back to see Toto staring at Lewis with a daring look. "Well looks like I'm about to get a talking to. I'll see you guys tonight. Cecilia, you are going right?" Lewis said as he walked backward toward his garage. "As of now, yes. We'll see what my dad says after Max Verstappen just chased me down half the pit lane," Cecilia said and they all laughed. Lewis waved them goodbye and they began their walk back to the Red Bull garage. "This year will be more interesting with you around. I'm so used to being around a bunch of old guys. I'm glad you're back," Max said with a cheesy smile as they walked down the pit lane. Cecilia just smiled and gave him a nudge with her shoulder not revealing how much that meant to her.