Chapter 16 - Eggs and Bacon

"Oh this place looks lovely," Cecilia said as they pulled into a parking spot in front of a small breakfast place. "We used to come here a lot when I was little. Every time I won a race," Max said. The two got out of his car and walked into the small diner. Max greeted the hostess in Dutch and then gestured for Cecilia to follow him. They walked out to the back and into a sun porch where his family was sitting waiting for them. "Hello," Cecilia said and waved to everyone. Max's mom ran and gave her son a hug before giving Cecilia a hug and told her, "Oh Cecilia it is so nice to meet you. Max has been talking about you non stop every time I have called him to ask how he is doing." Cecilia smiled and looked over to see Max blushing. "Okay Mom, why don't we sit down and get to eating," Max said and they walked back over to the table. Cecilia gave his sister, her husband, and Max's niece all a warm hello as she sat down. "So Cecilia, tell us about yourself," Max's Mom asked. "Well I really love F1, I came back to the grid this season and Max just so happened to be on the team at the same time. I've had a lot of fun being back on the circuit and Max has certainly made my work more bearable," Cecilia said and gave Max a thankful smile. Max's Mom nodded along to what she was saying and had a warm smile on her face. "How are you all doing?" Cecilia asked his family. "We have been cheering on Max from here for the most part. We are actually pregnant with our second baby right now so we are just taking it easy," his sister said and put a hand on her stomach. "Oh my gosh congratulations!" Cecilia said, giving her a kind look. Max looked shocked and said, "You never told me that. Oh my god congrats Vic." Max reached across Cecilia and gave her a caring touch. "What languages do you speak, Cecilia?" his Mom asked. "I speak English, of course, Italian, Spanish, and French. Sadly I haven't learned any Dutch or German yet," Cecilia responded. "Wow, I am very impressed my dear," his Mom said. "Okay are we ready to order? Cecilia, would you like for me to order for you?" Max asked. Cecilia nodded and told him what she would like. They all ordered and got to chatting before the food came out. The food arrived and they all continued chatting as they ate. "Have you heard anything from Kelly?" Max's Mom asked between a bite of food. Max gave her a look and said, "Mom." "I just want to know if she is still trying to mess with you. I don't want you or Cecilia to be hurt by her," she said. "Well we did see her at an F1 event," Cecilia said, checking with Max's expressions to see if she said something she shouldn't have. "You did?" she said in shock. "She came up to me when Cecilia went to the bathroom and tried to get back with me," Max said, trying to breathe through his words. "I never liked that girl Max. I never have," his mom said and angrily stabbed her eggs with her fork. "I know Mom. That's why I broke up with her. Can we please move on from her? I am dating Cecilia now and I would really like for you to get to know her," Max said, trying to keep his cool. "Ok fine, I am sorry. I just really don't want her to get messed up in your relationship because Cecilia, you seem like a very sweet girl," She responded and put her hand on Cecilia's arm. "Thank you," Max said and continued eating. "So what's expected at the next race?" Victoria's husband asked. "A lot of what we've been doing but since it's Silverstone, we are going to try to just keep the Mercedes behind us," Max answered. "When do your days off end?" his Mom asked. "Tomorrow. I have to go to training at HQ tomorrow and run analytics from home," Max said. "Oh Cecilia, have you ever witnessed his training for races?" His sister asked. "No I have not," Cecilia responded and gave a questioning look. "He likes to watch film of each track the few days leading up to the race and close his eyes as he's watching," she said. "I cannot wait to see that," Cecilia said and gave Max a glance. He looked a little embarrassed but she knew what it took to be the best and if that worked for him, great. Max tore a piece of bacon and ate it before taking a swig of coffee. "Have you kept up with Jos at all?" Max asked. Cecilia could hear that it was a touchy subject as they had not been married for a while. "The last time I saw him was when I came to your race two weeks ago. He doesn't stick around for long," His mom responded and tried not to make the mood depressing. The waiter came and asked them if they wanted the bill. The bills came and Max paid for all of their breakfasts. "Well we should probably get going because we have some things to do this morning before things close for lunch," Max said and stood up. His Mom stood up too and gave him a big hug. Cecilia walked around the table and gave his mother a hug as well. "It was so nice meeting all of you. I hope to see you guys at the Belgian or Dutch grand prix," Cecilia said and waved them all goodbye and they walked back through the restaurant and back out to his car. They got in and Max immediately began apologizing, "Cecilia, I am so sorry that my mom made that about Kelly. I am sure you were so uncomfortable and she really did not need to bring that up at breakfast." Max had his face in his hands and was rushing through his words. Cecilia put a hand on his back and said, "Oh my love. I promise you that did not bother me at all. I know where your Mom was coming from, she just really cared about you and me." She began to rub his back trying to comfort him. "Are you sure?" Max said, sitting up. "Yes, I am sure," Cecilia said and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Where are we going?" Cecilia asked, trying to get his mind off of what just happened. Max took a deep breath and said, "We are going to a tulip garden." Cecilia gave him a big smile and took his hand in hers as they drove to the garden.