Chapter 6 - Clink

Cecilia looked at her phone sitting by the sink as the screen lit up, it was a text from Max, Hey do you just want to come to my room when you are done and we can head to dinner? She put her makeup brush down and responded That's good with me :). She finished her makeup and went out of her bathroom to put her shoes on. She was wearing a short, black, silk dress with long sleeves and red shoes. She did not feel like doing her hair as she knew it would just be messed up at the party so it was left down with a little hairspray for volume. She grabbed her phone and wallet and walked down to Max's room. She knocked on the door and heard someone yell from inside, "Come in! It's unlocked!" She opened the door and saw the grand room that Max was staying in. His room had a sitting area with a large king bed near the balcony. She went and sat on the bed while she waited for him to come out of the bathroom. She looked up and saw Max standing before her in black pants and a white button-down that was half unbuttoned. "Do you know how to tie a tie?" He said and held up his tie with a pleading look. She stood up from the bed and began to adjust his shirt. He watched her hands carefully as she buttoned each button of his shirt up to his neck. She could feel his soft warm breath on her hands as she slipped each button through the holes. She looked into his grey-blue eyes as she took the tie from his hand. She held his gaze as she wrapped it around his neck and could feel how tense he was. She broke his gaze and turned her attention back to the tie and began to wrap it. Once she broke his gaze his body relaxed and he became less stiff standing so close to her. While her eyes were occupied he took his chance to glance at her. He took in her lovely curves in her black dress and the way that the neckline fell on her breasts. She looked up at his eyes just as he stared at her boobs. She laughed and said, "Hey, is the only reason you wanted me to tie this for you is so that you can stare at my boobs?" His eyes met hers and said smoothly, "Well it is a benefit. But I actually can't tie a tie." She tilted her head in disbelief and said, "I can't believe that no one has ever taught you how or that you have never sought out knowing how to tie one." He once again looked into her green eyes and said, "Why would I want to tie my own tie when I can have someone as beautiful as you tie it for me?" She shook her head and finished her last loop of the tie, "I am flattered," she said and gave his tie a tug. His neck jolted down towards her and his eyes never left her gaze. They both held each other's stare for a moment and Cecilia almost wanted to kiss him but knew she shouldn't. He saw the hesitation and looked away from her stare and straightened his posture back up. "Well, are you ready to go?" He said and went back into the bathroom to grab his phone. Cecilia contemplated what just happened. Did she just almost kiss Max Verstappen? He was in the bathroom thinking the same thing. He came back out and gestured for her to take his arm. She slipped her arm through his and he put his hand in his pocket. They walked downstairs and out to his car and briefly chatted about the race. "How did I look on the course?" Max asked. "You looked great. I loved the way that your hair flowed in the wind," Cecilia joked. "Haha very funny. I meant like from an actual racing standpoint. I know you have inherited at least a little bit of your dad's knowledge," Max said and gave her a nudge as they walked. "Well don't let this go to your head but I think you looked pretty impressive out there. Out of everyone out there you looked the best," Cecilia said. They reached the car and Max said, "You know you boost my ego just a little bit every day?" Cecilia laughed and said, "Well let's just hope it doesn't pop." Max gave her a joking look of shock and turned the car on. They listened to some music on the way to dinner but mostly sat in silence. They arrived at the restaurant and the valet graciously helped Cecilia get out of the car without her flashing everyone. Max took her arm as they walked up the stairs and made sure he wasn't going too fast for her to keep up with in her heels. He opened the door for her and they walked in. The restaurant was a small building that overlooked the bowl-shaped city. "Party of two under Verstappen," Max said to the woman at the front podium. "Please follow me," she said and the two followed behind her out to the patio at the back of the restaurant. They had a pretty late reservation so they could see all of the stars in the sky and the whole city below them was glowing. Cecilia took her seat and they both ordered drinks. They decided on one glass of wine each. They knew they would be drinking later that night anyways. "You speak Dutch, right?" Cecilia said and took a sip from her wine glass. "Ja," Max responded. "I've always wanted to learn Dutch. I can speak French, Italian, and Spanish but not Dutch," Cecilia said. "It's not too hard to pick up on, I feel like," Max said. "Tell me something in Dutch," Cecilia said and rested her chin on her tented arms on the table. He smiled and looked into her eyes as he said, "Je bent het mooiste meisje dat ik ooit heb ontmoet." A waiter walked by just as he said it and smiled. Cecilia saw the waiter's smile and asked, "What did you say?" He shrugged and said, "I guess you'll never know." Cecilia just sighed. "Okay your turn, tell me something in Italian," Max said and leaned back in his chair. She smiled and thought of what she would say. She gazed intently into his eyes and said, "Hai degli occhi bellissimi" He smiled even though he did not know what it meant so he asked, "What does that mean?" "You have beautiful eyes," She said and could see the pink begin to rise in his cheeks. They got their food and began to eat. "How did your interviews go?" Cecilia asked in between a bit of her salad. Max took a sip of his wine to clear his throat and said, "The same as they usually are, they just want to create drama." "What did they bring up now?" Cecilia asked and wiped her mouth with her napkin. "They asked me about my relationships and if they have impacted my focus," Max said. She turned her head in question to show that she wanted the answer. "I told them that they haven't impacted my focus and in fact, I am the most focused I have ever been," Max said. There was a moment of silence and Cecilia thought to herself, did he not care about her? After a moment she finally said, "Well my dad today was asked if he plans on divorcing my mother, and of course, he couldn't just leave it at a no and so he started asking the interviewer questions instead to put it back on him." Max laughed and said, "I sort of like that about your dad, he is not scared to defend his family. And in a way, my father is like that too." Cecilia nodded and said, "My dad has his moments where he is the best but he also has his moments where he is the worst." Max sighed and said, "I just wish that our dads would realize that even though they are trying to be loving, it doesn't feel like love. You know what I mean?" "No, I get it. My dad always would yell at me over the most pointless things and then would say that he was doing it out of love only after I was crying to my mom," Cecilia said. "Well we are grown up now and their opinions don't have to dictate what we do. So let's just live our fucking lives, "Max said and raised his glass. Cecilia clinked her glass against his and said, "To living our fucking lives." They both downed the rest of their wine and Max said, "You ready to have the best night of our lives?" "Only if you are," Cecilia said with a smirk.