chapter eleven: show them who's in charge

- SHOW THEM WHO'S IN CHARGE -

"You may be the chancellor, Abby of the Sky People, but i'm in charge."

Sairah observes the Sky People as they go about their daily routines within the confines of their camp. The dynamics are clear: the strongest guard the perimeter, while the weakest attend to other tasks. It's a scene she never imagined herself witnessing from the inside, let alone actively participating in it. Yet, circumstances have placed her here, aiding the very people she once saw as enemies.

Assigned by Clarke to stand watch alongside some of her warriors, Sairah initially faced resistance. The notion of a Trikru Second in Command taking orders from a Sky Person didn't sit well with her warriors, nor did it resonate easily with Sairah herself. However, she recognized the gravity of the situation and the importance of cooperation. She had made a promise to assist these people, and Sairah is not one to break her word.

Her reverie is interrupted by Clarke's urgent call. Sairah turns to find the Sky People's leader approaching, her expression grave. The two meet, their steps echoing purposefully against the ground. "What is it, blondie?" Sairah inquires.

"I need your help,"

-

Sairah takes the lead as she guides her group toward Emerson's cell, the prisoner from Mount Weather who had been captured and brought in by Octavia and Indra mere hours ago. Clarke walks closely beside her, finding a sense of empowerment in Sairah's presence.

As they approach Emerson's cell, the guard stationed there reaches for his gun, but Sairah intercepts him with swift precision, pressing one of her Gladius swords against his throat. "Don't even think about it," she warns, her voice firm and unwavering.

Clarke's smirk reflects a mixture of satisfaction and determination as she addresses Emerson directly. "Get dressed. You're coming with me."

Emerson takes a mere five minutes to comply, after which the group, led by Sairah, proceeds toward the exit. Sairah maintains her composure as they walk outside, though whispers of confusion and concern ripple through the Sky People upon seeing Emerson escorted by her.

Their progress is halted abruptly as Abby and Marcus intercept them, hurrying to position themselves in front of the group. "Sairah?" Marcus's tone is laced with uncertainty. "Clarke, what are you doing?"

"Clarke, stop!" Abby's command is clear and authoritative.

But Clarke remains resolute. "No. I'm letting the prisoner go," she asserts, standing steadfastly beside Sairah.

"Absolutely not," Abby retorts, her voice tinged with disbelief and concern.

Marcus inches closer to Clarke. "He hasn't told us anything yet."

Clarke stands her ground, unwavering. "He doesn't have to. He's going to tell them something."

Abby shakes her head in disapproval, directing her attention to the guards behind her. "Get the prisoner back to the airlock now."

"Yes, ma'am."

The guards start to advance towards Sairah, but their movement is abruptly halted as the grounders surrounding her reach for their swords, a silent but potent threat.

Sairah grins at the two authoritative figures before her. "You may be the chancellor, Abby of the Sky People, but I'm in charge," she declares, her eyes locking onto the guards with a challenging gaze. "Now get out of my way before I make you."

Abby swallows nervously, exchanging glances with Marcus. "Clarke, tell them to stand down before this gets out of hand."

"They don't answer to Clarke... they answer to me," Sairah interjects, tilting her head defiantly.

Concern etches Abby's face. "People could get hurt," she warns, her eyes shifting between the two young leaders.

Sairah dismisses the warning with a shake of her head. "The only people who're going to get hurt are you and Marcus if you don't get out of my way."

Clarke intervenes, taking a tentative step forward. "You need to trust that I know what's right for us."

The tension dissipates slightly as Abby and Clarke engage in a silent standoff. Marcus, observing the exchange, interjects with a note of reason. "Sairah and her people trust Clarke. Maybe we should, too."

Abby maintains her gaze on her daughter but extends a calming hand toward the guards. "Stand down," she commands, her voice steady but firm.

Without hesitation, Sairah swiftly moves toward the gate, with Clarke and their entourage in tow.

"Open the gate now," Clarke asserts, her tone carrying an air of authority.

Two grounders position themselves in front of Sairah and Clarke, escorting Emerson between them. Clarke shares a quick nod with Sairah before turning her attention to Emerson. "Can you hear me all right? Because I need to make sure you get this," she says, her voice measured but firm.

"Loud and clear," Emerson responds.

"I have a message for your leader. We're coming for him," Clarke declares, her words echoing with conviction. "You're watching us, but you haven't seen a thing. The grounder army is bigger than you think, and even if you could find it, your acid fog can't hurt them. And now, thanks to you... Neither can the reapers. So you have one last chance. Let our people go, and we'll let you live. It's just that simple."

"I got it," Emerson affirms

Sairah seizes the timer attached to Emerson's hazmat suit, deftly adjusting the oxygen levels. "It's an 8-hour walk back to Mount Weather. You're gonna do it in 6."

"6 hours? That's not enough," Emerson protests, his breaths becoming shallower with concern. "How am I supposed to deliver your message?"

"Sounds like a 'you' problem to me. Now go," Sairah replies with a smile, her tone unwavering. Emerson gulps nervously before turning on his heels and disappearing into the shroud of the dark woods.

"Clarke," Octavia interjects, her voice laced with frustration. "You want to explain to me how this helps my brother?"

"I just told him we have a secret army to worry about," Clarke explains, her demeanor composed yet resolute.

"The more they're looking at us, the less they're looking at Bellamy Blake," Sairah chimes in, her words carrying a weight of strategic insight.

"Bellamy is the key to everything, Octavia," Clarke asserts, her tone conveying the gravity of their predicament. "If he dies, we die."

As Clarke strides away with the others, Sairah, Indra, and Octavia remain standing at the gate, a tension hanging in the air like a heavy fog. Indra's voice breaks through the silence, its rough edges cutting through the night air. "You're helping the enemy now?" she questions in Trigedasleng, her tone a blend of suspicion and concern.

Sairah meets Indra's gaze head-on, her expression unwavering. "The only enemy right now are the Mountain Men," she asserts firmly, her raised eyebrow a silent challenge to Indra's doubt.

"Skaikru is our enemy. When this war ends, we will fight against the Sky People. You know that, Trikova," Indra counters, her words heavy with the weight of tradition and loyalty to their clan.

"Your second is a Sky Person-- and one more thing, Indra," Sairah steps closer, her voice laced with authority. "You don't get to question my decisions," she adds in English, the words cutting through the night with a sharp clarity.

Octavia's eyes widen at the gravity of Sairah's tone and the exchange unfolding before her. Though she doesn't understand the language, the seriousness etched onto Sairah's face speaks volumes. As Sairah strides away, Octavia waits until she's out of sight before turning her attention to Indra, her curiosity piqued. "What did she say?" she asks tentatively, sensing the weight of the conversation.

Indra's gaze sharpens, her features hardened. "Not your business, Octavia of the Sky People," she replies curtly, her tone brooking no further inquiry.

Octavia nods slowly, the tension between them palpable, as she watches Indra disappear into the darkness.

## 

next chapter coming soon )))