chapter 87 - Be Safe

TW: Violence

     Seren didn't know how to get rid of this anger that was growing inside her. It was festering in the pit of her stomach, always there with her in everything she did. She just had so much hate for everything. The one thing Seren kept in her head, repeated over and over, was that she would bring vengeance to the King of Hybern. Laying in bed at night, Seren would picture all of the different ways she would kill the King. Methodically, viciously, painfully, slowly. He would not be allowed to live after all he had done to her.

     Seren was sitting at the dining room table in the morning, sipping on a glass of blood, when something strange happened. Elain's eyes glazed over and she dropped her fork onto her plate. Nesta tried getting her attention but nothing happened. Then, all of sudden, Elain doubled over, breathing heavily. "Lucien and Feyre are going to die," she gasped.

     Everybody looked around the table, alarmed at what she had just said. "What do you mean?" Amren asked.

     "I don't know what just happened but I somehow got a vision. Feyre and Lucien are fighting Lucien's brothers on the ice of the Winter Court. I don't know why they are there, or even what happened. But I know that if we don't intervene, they will die."

     There was silence at the table for a long moment before Cassian jumped up, "Az, Seren, you're with me. Let's go save them."

     Seren was wearing a simple black dress, not expecting to go and have to fight this morning. But that didn't matter. She had to go save Lucien and Feyre. If only to hear why Lucien had helped Tamlin ambush them at Hybern. Because she was dying to know what had happened between them. She nodded at the Illyrians before moving to pull on her boots. "Let me go with you guys," Rhys spoke up.

     Cassian sent him a look, "Brother, you know you can't. You're the High Lord. It would be considered an act of war to go and save them on another's territory."

     The whole group nodded and Rhys gave in with a resigned sigh. Seren made to leave the room with Az and Cass when Rhys grabbed her upper forearm, "Hey."

     His eyes flickered with something, and he clenched his jaw. It looked like he wanted to say more, so Seren raised an eyebrow at him. But all he said was, "Be safe."

     She nodded once at him, before turning to follow Az and Cass out onto the balcony. She let her wings come out from her back and jumped. The three of them flew hard and fast down to the Winter Court. When they crossed over the Court's boundaries, Seren yelled out, "I saw them all fighting on a huge, frozen lake. So keep an eye out for that."

     They flew for a couple more minutes before Seren saw a huge fireball appear in the distance. "Over there!" Az shouted.

      Seren tucked in her wings and dropped into a freefall down to those already on the ice. Cass, Az, and herself landed in between both groups with a loud thud. Seren straightened and turned to Lucien's brothers, "Leave now, and we won't have to fight you. If you leave now, we will just chalk this up to a huge misunderstanding."

      In response, they all just laughed at her. "Fine, have it your way," Seren muttered before unsheathing her two, short swords that were being held at her waist.

      She set her sights on Eris, who seemed to be in charge of this whole operation. But, he didn't look super excited to be there. In fact, it kind of looked like he had been holding back from attacking Feyre and Lucien. He wasn't covered in ash and blood like his other brothers had been.

     Seren shrugged it off, that didn't change the fact that he was here with his brothers, who were trying to kill Feyre and his youngest brother. She got herself into a defensive position. She had been itching for a fight for a while so this was just perfect. Surveying Eris, Seren took in the way he held his weight, how he held his sword, and which foot he favored. And then she made the first move.