chapter 91 - She Almost Always Was

POV: Rhys

     "Again!" Seren yelled at Nesta.

     The two were currently on the roof, and Seren was teaching Nesta some simple combat moves. And, because Cass, Az, and himself never thought they'd see Nesta fight, they were up on the roof training also. Well, kind of training. They were mostly just up there to watch the two of them.

     Rhys had no clue what Seren had done to Nesta that day when they had left the house. They hadn't come back until pretty late that night. Cass was readying to go out and search for them actually. But then, they walked into the dining room with small smiles on both of their faces. It might've been the first time he had ever witnessed Nesta doing anything besides scowling.

      They then announced that Nesta would be joining them in the fight against Hybern. The whole room practically did a double take when they told them about it. Whatever Seren had said, worked. Now instead of moping around the house, particularly in the library, Nesta was out on the roof, training.

     They had already been out here for a couple hours, and Seren was now instructing Nesta on the basics of hand-to-hand combat. "Come on Nes, I know you can hit harder than that," Seren taunted.

     "Did she just call her Nes?" Az hissed at them.

     "And she didn't try to bite Seren's head off," Cass said, looking astounded.

     Rhys shrugged, whatever had gone down that day must have made Nesta not hate Seren as much as everyone else in the house. Nesta paused for a moment. Through deep breaths, she asked, "How do you hit hard every single time? My energy just comes and goes, I'm not consistent enough."

     "Well, do you want the standard training answer or the way I actually manage to hit hard every time?" Seren asked.

     Rhys was suddenly interested in what Seren had to say. "Both," Nesta responded.

     Seren let out a breath, "The standard training answer is to remain grounded through the floor and use your breathing. Make sure to always have a stable base and use your feet, legs, and hips to pack as much power into your punch as possible. Inhale before you punch, and exhale as you punch."

     Nesta nodded and Seren held out her hands, "Try it."

     Nesta set up but right before she went to swing, Seren stopped her, "Move your right foot back more. And use your hips as you follow through."

      Inhaling, Nesta made sure she was in the right position. Then, she exhaled and swung. Seren easily blocked her, but it was clear there was a lot more power behind the punch than there was before. "Good. Good,"

     Seren said, "Now for my way. I always make sure to picture whatever I hate in my head. It always manages to fuel my punches with a lot more power than normal."

     "What do you think of?" Nesta asked curiously.

     Seren swiveled her head to look straight at Rhys. Damn it, of course she knew they were spying on them up here.

     She held his eyes, "When I got thrown in the Cauldron."

     She turned away suddenly and looked back at Nesta, holding her arms up yet again. Taking a deep breath, Nesta let her eyes fall closed as she thought for a moment. She struck out suddenly and Seren stumbled back a step. Her eyes widened in surprise before a smile broke out across her face, "Well, shit. I was definitely not expecting that."

     Nesta laughed, and a tiny smile appeared on her face. "Damn. I don't think I've ever seen her smile before," Cass whispered.

     Rhys was in his office, looking over some paperwork. Because even amidst a war, there still seemed to be a ton of papers to sign. His door slammed open, and he looked up quickly. Seren came barreling through the door, "Nesta and Feyre were attacked. In the library. You need to come. Now."