Chapter 15

I went to my mom's place again for the weekend, which proved to be a lot more dramatic than I hoped it would be. My younger brother was off the rail again and my mother couldn't handle it.

Ever since my father just up and left five years ago, my mother really changed. She accepted basically anything and everything that my brother did. It was her way of giving him 'extra love' because our father wasn't there anymore to do it. In my eyes though she basically just stopped being a mother and turned into a friend.

And that wasn't what my brother needed. He needed an authority figure; someone who would teach him right from wrong and scold him when needed. He was only fifteen after all. His hormones were raging. Which was pretty much where I came in. But I wasn't always there to keep an eye on him, especially not since I had left for college.

The mere look in my mother's eyes often made me feel guilty for leaving.

"You promised me he'd come back, sis!" Brendon yelled at me angrily, as he always would whenever I tried to talk to him about his behavior. I knew that's why he acted out. It was foolish of me to ever have said such a thing to him... but I was thirteen at the time, full of hope and hated to see my little brother upset.

I was naïve and had no idea it would come to this.

"Yeah, well, that's no excuse to be getting high and robbing supermarkets." I retorted. "Now get ready for school, Brendon, come on." It was almost a plead now. I really didn't want it to be like this. I didn't want to argue with him, but he often left me not much of a choice.

Brendon groaned in annoyance and stormed back inside, just as I heard the honk of a car. I glanced over and saw Jenna in the passenger's seat, Austin behind the wheel and Kellin in the backseat. "Are you coming, or what?" Jenna yelled through the crack of the window.

Right... they were picking me up for camp or whatever. Really wasn't looking forward to that now. I sighed and picked up my bag, walked to the car, and threw it into the trunk. "Is everything okay? Looked like you and Bren had a pretty heated... discussion." Jenna then carefully pointed out as I took a seat next to Kellin.

"Hi Chels." He greeted me with a sincere and almost apologetic smile.

"Hi Kells." I wanted to ignore Jenna's question, but she kept staring at me. I groaned softly and shrugged. "He's just been a pain in the ass. I should be dealing with him, but- yeah."

"Alright, last stop and then off we go." Austin said, obviously noticing how I didn't really want to talk about the matter. I noticed him looking at me through the rearview mirror so I shot him a grateful smile. "Can you give me his address again, Quinn?" He then asked, directed at Kellin.

Kellin repeated the address twice. It was a street not too far from here. I wondered whom exactly we were picking up.

Jenna turned up the radio as Austin put the address into his GPS and drove off. I glanced back once more, hoping my brother would be okay and actually go to school this week. He honestly didn't need another suspension on his record.

After a few minutes of driving, Austin parked the car and honked the horn three times. It took a while, but eventually someone finally came out the door. It was Vic. I had to say, I was a little surprised. But then again, it sorta explained why Kellin was here.

"Heya Carlile, miss Jenna, Kells." Vic started as he arrived at the car. The second he saw me; a smile grew from ear to ear. "Mi Hermosa." I simply rolled my eyes at him and watched him throw his bags in the trunk.

"Victor, honey, wait a minute!" An older woman called out, waving her hand in our direction. "Did you pack the underwear I bought you?" She asked Vic as she ran up to him.