Chapter 27

"I just don't understand how you can do this. It's dreadful." Oliver muttered, full of disgust as he flipped through the pages of my math book. He decided to sort of join me so every now and then to get to know his 'little sister' a bit better. Yeah he was the older one of us, by like eight minutes.

"Well math is pretty horrible, yeah." I admitted with a chuckle. "But that's not what I'm here for."

"Right- arts and music." His words were dripping with sarcasm as he waved his hands in the air like he was talking about magic. He was clearly making fun of me. "I tried college for a few months. Education is just not for me."

"It's not that bad, honestly." Kellin then began. "Most of the classes are below average when it comes to general knowledge. They give you quite a lot of freedom when it comes to developing your creativity. The majority of the students get along due to shared interests and mixed classes. There aren't as many girls on campus as there used to be though."

"Who needs girls when there's nerdy, adorable boys with cute voices like yours." Oliver pointed out with a small smile as he threw Kellin a way too obvious wink.

My jaw dropped at the remark Oliver had made. Was this what I think it was? Did Oliver just- oh my god.

I glanced over at Kellin who was fighting to hide a blush. But his pale complexion gave it away all too easily.

"Say, don't you have some place to be?" I urged, directed at Oliver.

He arched both of his eyebrows as he looked at me. "If you don't mind, I much prefer being here over being with mum and dad who are constantly worrying about how you probably hate their guts." He simply stated. "Besides- the company here is much better than I expected." Another wink was thrown in Kellin's direction, and for a moment, I felt sick to my stomach.

I needed a break.

Without another word, I walked out of study hall and went straight for the bathroom in my own dorm. It had been a few days, but I still really had a lot of trouble adjusting to the whole new family thing.

Diana, my former mother, had gone completely quiet while Brendon went a-wall. He was spending a lot of time with the wrong people again, this time doing heavier drugs than he used to do. It really wasn't going well for the kid, and he had stopped reaching out to me.

Personally I thought I was doing okay... sort of.

I really wasn't sure yet whether I was ever going to have a real bond with my actual parents. Carol was nice, and of course I knew my dad, but it was all so weird. And Oli? Well he was a special case anyways, but we were very alike in a lot of things.

But beneath my calm exterior I was pretty stressed out. Between fighting to get my grades up and adjusting to a new life, there was also this Vic thing... I had never really been in a serious relationship before. Then again, I probably still wasn't. But the general idea scared me a little.

Hearing the dorm's room open and close pulled me out of my thoughts.

"So, you two still aren't a thing?" That was Mike.

"Well, no- I'm just not sure about how she feels, okay?" Vic defended.

"Yet you told me that she threw herself at you for those concert tickets and asked you to go with her. Are you blind, bro?"

"Maybe that was just gratitude? She had a pretty shitty day."

I heard Mike groan in annoyance, followed up by a laugh. "You're an idiot, you know that? I've seen the way she looks at you. But you're never gonna know unless you ask her."