Chapter One || Introduction

━━ ◦ 🕷 ◦ ━━

12:00 AM

On a serene night at the Task Force 141 base, Simon found himself in a quaint, sparsely-lit office tucked away at the far end of an extensive corridor. Behind a wooden desk, he poured over documents related to an operation his team has tirelessly been chasing for an extended period. Their efforts were dedicated to preempting their foes, yet to Simon, it felt as though they were consistently fixated on the wrong targets. As he scrutinized the paperwork, seemingly for the umpteenth time, he highlighted critical data, then shifted his gaze to the display hanging on the wall. The exhibit presented an extensive map highlighting key areas, together with the launch point for their imminent mission. This indispensable gadget housed years of gathered data, offering live updates regarding mission specifics, such as the likely locations of possible dangers.

     Simon twisted in his office seat, soothing his hackles of tedium. Despite having grown used to long nights dedicated to operational preparation, his yearning to return to the heart of conflict never slacked. Plagued by doubts about enduring many more hours sifting through mountains of paperwork, he surrendered to a momentary respite by closing his eyes and leaning back. An echoing "Fuck," was all he muttered, his weary voice filling the deserted hallways of the base. Apart from Sky Bridges, everyone else had long succumbed to the night.

     Softly padding down the chill-filled corridor, there was a spark of anticipation in Sky's every glance, a longing for some light relief that had yet to be fulfilled. As the latest recruit joining the ranks under the eagle-eyed guidance of Captain Price, the intricate workings of the 141 base were still an enigma to her. Her wide eyes, a deep shade of emerald green, were drawn irresistibly towards a tiny doorway at the corridor's end. Gentle light filtered onto the rough-hewn concrete floor from within, igniting her curiosity and painting her mind with a myriad of possible scenes.

     Feeling an irresistible urge, she tiptoed forward, her anticipation building up with each quiet step. Braving the unknown, she risked a peek through the slightly ajar door, catching sight of the Lieutenant. He was comfortably reclined in his chair, his head thrown back in relaxation, loosely holding a modest stack of official papers.

     Preparing to quietly retreat, Sky began to step back, but her covert exit was disrupted by an awkward stumble over her own feet. Swiftly, she stabilized herself, leaning on the door for support and swiftly regaining her composure.

     Simon suddenly turned his eyes towards her, and a shudder of embarrassment painted her face. His accessory choice - a black balaclava embellished with a confrontational skull imprint. This menacing gear only left room for his deep, earth-toned eyes to display. His unwavering focus echoed the resolve of a ready-to-strike rattlesnake, its gaze remaining unbroken, primed to leap at any moment.

     When their eyes locked, she could tell her presence didn't seem to please him at all. "Did you need something?" He asked with an urgency, his pronounced British accent lending authority to each utterance. His voice, stripped of warmth and infused with a chill reminiscent of coming into contact with icy crystals, caused each fragment of speech to bear the weight of a deep scar, primed to be torn anew. Even with the frosty sensation coursing down her back, she managed to keep any visible response at bay. It was a high-pressure moment, with her mind noticeably trembling at the frosty undertones of his utterances.

     She suddenly became conscious that she had forgotten to breathe, her heart seeming to have stopped in her chest. His gaze was hard, compelling, as if in a few moments he'd managed to take an inventory of her soul. It was as if he could easily crack her hardened shell, diving into the ocean of her internal struggles with a haunting insight that stripped her bare.