Chapter Twenty-Two || Discharged

━━ ◦ 🕷 ◦ ━━

As the sun gradually succumbed to the evening's call, the heavens above were blanketed by a congregation of clouds, obscuring the galaxy's glittering jewels strewn across the expansive sky. The gentle whisper of foliage, caressed by the evening zephyr, imbued a sense of calm, while pearls of rain delicately graced the window glass, weaving a serene melodic tapestry. Yet, amidst this tranquility, Sky stood perplexed, poised at the threshold of Simon's door. The weight of an impending apology sat heavily in Sky's heart. Taking a deep cleansing breath, in an attempt to marshal her strength, her knuckles barely making a sound against the wooden door.

     "Simon?" she uttered, her tone wavering. Surprisingly, there was no echo of reply from within. She paused for an instant before amplifying her knock, "Simon, are you there?" Yet the silence held its ground, making her twist the doorknob. To her astonishment, the door swung open. Peeping through the narrow space, she searched for him, but he was nowhere in sight.

     'Where is he?' Softly shutting the door behind her, she moved towards the office.

     When Sky approached the office, a faint glow was visible through the slightly ajar door. Drawn by her natural curiosity, she edged nearer to catch a closer glimpse. Suddenly, a wave of recognizable voices washed over her from within. She leaned in, straining to decipher the intriguing chatter that filled the room.

     "She's lost all sense of reality!" The intensity in Madilyn's tone was unmistakable, clearly reflecting her fury.

     "She's not unstable, she has endured a great deal, let her have some space," expressed John, his words tinged with worry.

     Price slid back into his chair, releasing a deep breath as he prepared to sift through the clutter of documents on his workspace. He carefully retrieved a document, his gaze scrutinizing its contents. Simon, nonchalantly leaning against the nearby wall, suddenly perked up and distanced himself from his lazy repose. He swiftly walked up to Price, subtly trying to peek into the document over his shoulder.

     Hearing Simon's words ring out amongst the crowd caused a fiery sensation of dread in Sky's heart. "Choices have consequences," he declared, his tone serving as a chilling echo of the responsibilities they all bore.

     Swiftly moving towards Price's desk, John cast his eyes on the paperwork. He let out an exasperated sigh, "Price, is this some kind of fucking joke?"

     Price's reply was straightforward and succinct, "No."

     "Has it even crossed your minds to scrutinize Maddie's role in this?" John's reply was laced with visible irritation, "Isn't it obvious that all of her meltdowns occur when Maddie is present?"

     Without paying any heed to John, Price finally broke the silence. "Simon, hand her these documents. She's set for discharge," his voice echoed a sense of defeat.

     Simon agreed, accepting the documents from Price. He carefully folded them, placing them securely in his pocket.

     John asserted, trying to garner everyone's attention, "Hold on, let me just speak for a secon-" but his words were curtailed by Madilyn, "I swear, I've done nothing wrong to her."

     "I'll give them to her tomorrow morning," Once he concluded, Price responded with a non-committal grunt. His annoyance was unmistakable, with slumped shoulders making it clear.

     John cast a glance over his shoulder at Simon, with his bright blue eyes seemingly piercing right through him, "You're all going to regret this decision."