Chapter Five || Jealousy

━━ ◦ 🕷 ◦ ━━

7:50 AM

Dawn had barely broken when Sky darted out of her room, quickly trailing Simon as he intentionally made his way toward the training grounds. The crisp morning breeze kissed their bare skin, inciting Simon to remark, "Feels rather chilly this morning," while straightening the collar of his army attire. Sky, keeping pace alongside him, confirmed his observation by her small nod, the chill mirrored in her faint shudder. Simon's eyes lingered on her, noticing an uncharacteristic change in her demeanor. An invisible heaviness of unspoken words seemed to cloud her, leaving him to wonder what could be unsettling her. Despite his curiosity, he refrained from questioning, but her aloof attitude did not escape his notice.

"We'll be diving into some more hand-to-hand combat today, and if time permits, we'll move on to basic weapons," Simon delivered his thoughts, his tone steady as his eyes surveyed the courtyard in front. The morning light was sharp, etching extended shadows over the training area, presenting a vivid comparison to the warmth of their exhalations evident in the chilly air.

The peace enveloping the courtyard captivated him, as the tall trees formed an overhead shield over the spread-out seating arrangements. The symphonic twittering of birds coupled with the faint rustle of leaves contributed to a calming milieu. Simon indulged in the revitalizing chill of the wind, reminiscent of the crisp waters of a mountain stream.

The warm light heralded a new day, barely reaching above the forest canopy, yet the lingering chill in the shadowy surroundings pricked against Sky's skin. An involuntary shudder ran down her spine, prompting her to ward off the remaining cold. "You're right, it is cold this morning," She voiced, her teeth audibly clattering, "I don't really mind too much." Despite her efforts to hide it, she couldn't completely mask her unease. Sky stole a quick look at Simon, mulling over if he had picked up on her recent mood change, but briskly let the idea go. "Ready," She announced energetically, her eyes, however, were ablaze with a stern determination. This shift in her demeanor could have given others pause, yet Simon didn't give it much thought. The dawn bore significant meaning to him; he tackled all training drills with the highest level of gravity. In his profession, inadequate preparation could spell the difference between survival and demise, a burden that profoundly impacted him.

"Alright," He announced, adopting a combat-ready position, "Show me what you got." Assured and resonant, his utterance ignited a spark of competitiveness in Sky. Her eyes honed in with sharp determination at the challenge before her. She assertively planted her left foot, harnessing the power of her stronger side. Fuelled with purpose, she executed a commanding front kick which effortlessly shattered Simon's defensive shield, leaving an echoing reverberation as it hit his flank. Without missing a beat, she ascended her right leg and twisted her torso, initiating a secondary assault with her left leg aimed beneath his ribs.

With perfect timing, Simon deftly maneuvered to evade Sky's swift strike. His calculated response was a counterstrike that demonstrated his deep understanding of footwork tactics. With precision, he interweaved his legs with hers, effectively destabilizing her footing and guiding her swiftly to the icy cement below. A soft gasp of surprise and discomfort spilled from Sky as she made contact with the hard floor. However, showcasing her tenacity, she shook off the pain and rose to her feet with a determined grin. There was no hiding the signs of the floor's unforgiving touch, a promise of a bruise yet to form.

With a pleased smile etched on his face, Simon spoke confidently, "Again!"

━━ ◦ 🕷 ◦ ━━

12:47 PM

Simon and Sky committed to a rigorous workout. Though Simon's physical might and larger frame were obvious, Sky continually honed her nimbleness and accuracy. Each move Sky made was countered by Simon's well-orchestrated responses. The intensity of the training ratcheted up, accruing more and more stress on their bodies until the grueling session finally wrapped up. As the sun climbed its apex, the escalating heat of the day added another layer of challenge. Drained from the exertion, they grabbed the closest towels to dab off the layers of sweat that had formed.