Chapter Twenty || Instability

━━ ◦ 🕷 ◦ ━━

As the golden-orange hue of dusk gently started seeping into the evening sky, the previously radiant sun began its tranquil retreat behind the silhouette of towering aged trees. Like clockwork, the chirping birds sensed the twilight signal, kick-starting their homeward journey back to the secure warmth of their nests. The change was both subtle yet noticeable, with the playful rush of the day giving way to the soothing rhythm of the approaching evening. Slipping in almost unnoticed, the evening chill started to paint a calming picture, sneaking in through Sky's barely ajar window, replacing the lingering warmth of the day, whispering false promises of a peaceful night ahead.

     Sky found herself in the throes of contemplation, tucked away in her room. As the day wore on, Maddilyn's words echoed in her mind, causing her to speculate about the possibility that she might be the orchestrator of her ongoing incidents.

     'Is Maddilyn working with Blokov?' She questioned, a troubling idea she was reluctant to disregard completely. Leaning back on her bed, she shook her head in an attempt to dispel the thought. Yet, it persistently lingered in her mind, a gnawing suspicion that there were facets of Madilyn that were beyond Sky's grasp.

     There was a gentle rap on the door, then Simon eased himself in, delivering his affable salutation, "Hey, Princess," in his tender, baritone voice. "You've been in your room all day again, and you weren't outside when I went to look for you," he observed. His ingress brought an aura of solace as he seated himself delicately on the brim of her bed.

     "What's wrong?" His sincere concern for her predicament was like a welcome breath of fresh air, signaling that she could indeed place a profound level of trust in him.

     She paused momentarily, endeavoring to gather her scattered thoughts before responding. The entire day, her mind was a whirlwind, ceaselessly filled with inquiries and apprehensions about the past, what was occurring now, and what lay ahead in the future.

     "Simon, I have a feeling that Madilyn is the one behind everything." She spoke in hushed tones, as though their conversation could be overheard in the corridor.

     He furrowed his brow, giving her a puzzled glance, and responded with a careful, "What do you mean?"

     She took a slight pause, gathering her thoughts to avoid coming across as utterly irrational, "What if..." She let her words hang in the air before she resumed, "What if Madilyn is a mole, Simon? What if she knew where I was when everyone was looking for me because she's the one who had me put there?"

     He found himself giving a small, amused laugh, shaking his head as though the idea was utterly preposterous. "That's impossible; we conduct extensive background checks. Besides, it's been a while, little mouse." He reminisced, his thoughts drifting back to the time he believed Sky was concealing deceptive intentions.

     "It would've been obvious–" However, Sky interrupted him midway, not allowing him to complete his sentence.

     "She admitted to bugging my room, she destroyed my family picture, and she literally just held me at gunpoint," As she pondered, her countenance took on a serious tone, her thoughts racing through countless prospects.

     "Trust me, love, she wouldn't behave in such a way," He lovingly rested his hand on her shoulder, striving to provide as much solace as possible, "What's going on?" His fingertips glided up to her cheek, tenderly stroking her skin with his thumb.

     "You're acting like I'm crazy," she exclaimed, her eyes flashing with annoyance. Desperation was creeping into the corners of her eyes, unsettling her usually detached demeanor. Dismissively, she swatted away his outstretched hand and rose from her bed with a resolute conviction, the messy tangles of her hair cascaded around her face, further outlining her state of unrest.

     "It's just that you're kind of acting crazy, little mouse." He initiated, and she inhaled profoundly, massaging her face with her palms, the sensation of annoyance brewing within her.

     "I'm not acting crazy, Simon," She remarked, her voice gradually intensifying. "It's the truth!" Swinging her door wide open, she subtly motioned him towards the exit, "If you don't believe me, get out."

     He rose from her bed, his eyes igniting with a blend of resentment and pain, "Don't talk to me like that, Sky. This is getting fucking stupid."

     Fists clenched, eyes burning with a fury that turned them into a stormy, dark abyss, her voice ripped through the tense silence, "I said GET THE FUCK OUT!" She wasn't merely speaking; she was commanding, all her mounting frustrations exploding in those six words.

     Without any hesitation, he darted out of the room, making a quick attempt to get his point across before disappearing, "You need to sort your shit out," He seemed on the brink of adding more, but Sky, having listened quite enough, forcefully closed the door. The sound resonated, sending a booming echo throughout the corridor.

     She found herself collapsing against the door, using the palms of her hands to cover her eyes as a gush of tears began to build. Her body quivered, consumed by a rush of intense emotions that she couldn't control. She felt as though she was adrift, even the act of drawing breath proved to be an ordeal. Pulling in short, uneven breaths, tears inevitably started to trace their way down her cheeks.

     "Fuck, fuck, fuck," was the only utterance she could muster. In a frantic attempt to comprehend the distress, she clung to her hair, yielding to insanity. Her whole sense of order was crumbling right before her, making her feel utterly powerless to stop it.

    A frustrated sigh escaped from Simon, his mind a whirlwind of frantic thoughts and emotions as he lifted his mask just enough to bear his mouth. With agitated movements, he rummaged through his pockets, eventually pulling out a tried-and-true pack of cigarettes. He selected one, slipping it between his awaiting lips, before commencing his march towards the courtyard. His heart bristled with the recent discord, the heated argument with Sky still echoing loudly in his head. Her words, once sweet and melodious, now served as a bitter anthem to his regret. The heart-wrenching sound of her cry, a sharp symphony of sorrow he heard as he traversed the long, silent hallways, was a haunting melody.

     Her sobs interrupted the quiet serenity of the night, ricocheting off the walls with a profound echoing sadness that was impossible to ignore. It was a siren song that pulled at his heartstrings, igniting a desire to reach out and assuage her suffering.

     Yet, Simon found himself anchored in his fear and hesitation. The words he wished to say to her, to apologize and to comfort her, stuck fast in his mouth and dissolved into futile puffs of nicotine. The courage he needed seemed as elusive as smoke escaping from between his lips. But inside, his heart was shattering, bearing the weight of his guilt and her deep-seated sorrow.