Chapter Eleven || Nostalgic Destruction

━━ ◦ 🕷 ◦ ━━

2:03 PM

As Sky made her way into the base, her demeanor quiet, she headed directly to her sanctuary - her room. As her hand gingerly traced the tender area on her neck, a grimace carved its way onto her face, revealing the unsaid pain. A roughened circle of purple and black was beginning to form, the gruesome souvenir of an experience she had barely escaped. The chilling grip of his hands was still a phantom touch, a haunting memory that clung to her skin. It felt as if those iron fingers were refusing to let go, their invisible imprints acting as reminders of the close brush with annihilation she had just endured. The cruel pressure, that horrific sensation of air abandoning her lungs, was still so very real in her mind, making each breath she took now seem like a cherished gift.

     Shortly after she swung the door open, there was Madilyn, casually perched on the edge of her bed, an air of confidence stretching across her face. Her eyes hinted at unexpected adventures, while her lips formed a subtly crafty grin, "Just the person I was hoping to see, bunny." With a level of acidity that was almost palpable, she emphasized the last word, freezing Sky in her tracks. She was left staring, her eyes widened in shock as she took in the unexpected display of Madilyn's demeanor.

     "Hey, Madilyn, is there something we need to talk about?" She looked down, her gaze landing on the shredded photograph of her parents, strewn about the floor like a jigsaw puzzle. Her heart dropped like a stone, into the abyss of her stomach. The only tangible evidence of her parents' faces, now lay in fragments, leaving her with just a faint, blurry recollection in her mind. As she fought back the rising wave of emotion, tears began to well in the corners of her eyes, their crystal-clear depths now shimmering with unshed sorrow. Her lower lip, once steady, betrayed her struggle to maintain composure as it started to quiver slightly, echoing the tremor in her heart.

     "Why?" Her inquiry was imbued with despair, an unexpected spark of irritation coloring her tone as she shifted her attention to Madilyn. At one time, Sky had a firm belief in the deep connection of friendship that underpinned their identities as agents. After all, an absolute level of trust is a prerequisite among agents. However, the present circumstance felt like a brutal stab in the back to her.

     In a surge of emotions, she lunged at Madilyn, her hand making direct contact with her cheek. When Madilyn crossed that unseen boundary by demolishing her keepsake, she took a significant step. This cherished relic was more than just an object; it was a lifeline to her past, connecting her to joyful and loving memories.

     "You fucking bitch!" She cried out, consumed by untamed fury, her eyes welling up with the tears of grief. Each intake and release of breath felt strenuous as the storm of emotions inside her caused her heart to thunder against her ribs.

     Madilyn stumbled back, landing on the forgiving softness of the mattress. A wave of pain pulsed in her knuckles, causing her to shake her hand out and let out a small, derisive snort, Suddenly, Sky collapsed to the ground in a hurried attempt to gather the shredded picture. But just as she managed to grasp the final pair of fragments, Madilyn sharply landed a kick on her waist, causing her to tumble to the hard surface with a resounding thud.

     "This is what happens when you fuck something that doesn't belong to you," She spoke, her words cutting through the air like a searing knife through soft butter.

     Her eyes, green pools of surprise, widened as she looked up at Madilyn, hit by the sudden understanding of the situation. "You bugged my fucking room?" her words echoed ominously in the room. The shock was raw and the pain evident in her voice. She felt the air grow thick around her, each breath almost a struggle.