②. ❝𝗠𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀❞

As the ship carrying Genji began to fly over the city that was his destination, the latter couldn't help but begin to feel a mixture of excitement and apprehension. This was his home, the place where he grew up and trained as a ninja. But it was also a place that brought up some painful memories and thoughts. As soon as the aircraft began to slow down, its hatch would open slowly, while the cyborg approached the edge, finally managing to appreciate the views from the sky of that place so precious to him. Feeling the wind against his body, he knew it was time to say goodbye temporarily. Thus, he would turn in the direction of the cockpit.

"Arigatō, Lena!" He said, raising his voice to make sure the pilot heard him. "I appreciate you bringing me here."

"No problem, love!" she would reply, turning over her shoulder to show him one last smile. "Just be careful out there!"

"I'll have it, don't worry." The ninja would nod. "We'll see each other soon."

And with that, Genji would leap to free fall from the ship, landing gracefully on the roof of a building at the foot of the village. Just a few seconds later, he would stand up to watch the ship receding into the distance, disappearing swiftly over the horizon. Then, he would slowly turn around to face the impressive sight of what looked like a huge village in front of him, crowned with a great castle that would draw attention for miles. It was Hanamura, the former home of the ninja. Just seeing the silhouette of that building illuminated by the light of the setting sun brought back a lot of painful memories for Genji. This was the place where he had lost his humanity, at the hands of his own brother, no less. After a few moments of internal reflection, the swordsman took a deep breath and decided to sneak down from that roof. Now he was alone in his homeland... Alone with the memories of his past.

Stepping down a twilight-lit street, the ninja would take a good look around. After so many years it would seem difficult, but it didn't take him long to locate himself geographically. Thus, he would begin to walk slowly through the cobbled paths of the city. Quietly walking past a few people and omnics. Some in apparent hurry, others more relaxed.

He passed a tempura stall that his brother, Hanzo, loved. Thus, he would stop for a few moments to perceive the aroma of fried seafood, remembering how they used to share it. However, the ninja could not recognize the seller, so he did not dare to get closer. He just continued on his way.

His path was full of nostalgic stops. From a park where he used to go to exercise, to a small sanctuary where he used to go to pray. As he kept walking, some sorrow filled the cyborg's eyes, remembering simpler times in his life. Times when he was with his brother... and with...

His thoughts would be interrupted by a familiar sound; or rather, a cacophony of sounds that he could very well recognize. Turning to his right, he saw himself in front of the city arcade. Just appreciating the facade of the building would make the swordsman show an expression of surprise like no other. It looked the same. That place was especially dear to him. It would be impossible for him to say with certainty how many evenings of his youth he spent within the walls of that place, enjoying his favorite games and achieving the highest scores in each one. Genji knew well that he was on a mission, but he simply couldn't resist the feeling of the past calling him. Daring to enter, it was as if the ninja had traveled back in time. He could almost see himself in his school uniform, as he watched the noisy arcade machines around him. The place was full of people. Some laughing, others angry. All that environment would make his mind go blank. But suddenly, like an anvil falling on his head, that thought that almost escaped him would come back to him...

"Kiriko..." Was the name he whispered, almost instinctively.

The one who for many years had been the best friend of the youngest Shimada. His confident and mischief partner. Even more than that... more like a little sister. It would be impossible for him to forget about her, but due to her circumstances, it seemed like it was the first time in a long time that Genji thought about her in depth. Lost in his nostalgia, the cyborg even seemed to be able to see ghosts of himself and Kiriko running around the place, and playing on various of the machines. As if the memories of those afternoons were displayed before him, one after another. His lips would form a weak smile, while the faint voice of that young girl flooded his mind from the bottom of his memory. Closing his eyes, he truly seemed to return to those times. After a few seconds of reflection, and knowing that he couldn't stay there any longer, the ninja would leave the arcade.

As he left the door of the place, however, he would feel a new concern. A heaviness in his heart, forcing him to stop his steps.

"I wonder... how is she doing now?" He would question the air as he whispered his thoughts. "I hope you're okay... Kiriko."

That would be the only thing he would manage to say to himself, trying to calm his restless mind. For years the relationship between the two was abruptly cut off. One day, both laughed together through the streets of Kanezaka like any pair of young students, and the other they didn't see each other again. During his initial recovery in the care of Dr. Ziegler, what filled Genji with frustration and rage was the thought of everything he believed his own brother had taken from him; things that, he believed, he could never get back. Among them, Kiriko, and his connection to her. A person as precious and important to him as his own family.

Before he knew it, the whole environment began to darken, since the sun was barely present on the horizon. Noticing that orange coloration fading around him, made the cyborg refocus his mind. Thus, after shaking his head a bit, he would resume his pacing. So far, everything he saw seemed peaceful, albeit with a certain melancholic air. However, night would soon fall, and it would then be time to see if the rumors that brought him here in the first place were true. He had to be careful. And with that in mind, he continued on his way through the streets of the city.