⑧. ❝𝗛𝗼𝗺𝗲❞

Under the dim lights that illuminate the streets, the silhouette of that cyborg would have remained motionless, while his companion was already beginning to walk slowly, turning his back on the latter. It seems that the green-haired did not expect any response to her offer. The ninja himself knew that his opposite was not going to take "no" for an answer.

"What are you waiting for? Let's go." The girl would insist, seeing him over her shoulder.

Without much choice, the younger Shimada would finally start walking to keep up with his friend's footsteps. "Thank you. I appreciate the generosity."

"I'm not going to let you spend the night on the streets. Just follow me."

Thus, both undertook the path to the home of Kiriko, who led the way. The cool night breeze became more and more present in the environment as they walked side by side. None of them would know exactly what to say during the journey, so they just kept quiet, listening only to the echo of their own footsteps. Genji, believing that Kiriko was still living with her parents, was thinking intensely about how he could present himself to them after so many years. The mere idea of seeing his former teacher face to face filled him with nerves. However, he was perfectly aware that he couldn't avoid it forever. Thus, he would try to break the silence and bury his nerves at the same time.

"So... How is Yamagami-sensei doing?"

"Oh, she..." The green-haired hesitated for a few seconds before answering, once again trying to hide the tone in her voice. She still didn't feel ready to confess the truth of her situation to her partner. "She is doing well. As good as could be expected."

The girl would fall silent again, keeping her gaze downcast for the rest of the way. The swordsman couldn't help but notice, but he wouldn't think it appropriate to meddle in her personal affairs after years of not even speaking to her. After a few more minutes, both would arrive at a departmental building. This was not the home that Genji remembered. However, he would limit himself to closely following his friend. Inside the slowly rising elevator, a slight tension was palpable between the two. Finally, when the doors of that elevator were opened, the path of the pair finally came to an end. The green-haired stopped in front of the door at the end of the hall, while she took a moment to look for her keys among her clothes.

"Ahm... Excuse me, Miss Kamori." The cyborg would finally get ready to speak, decorating his voice with a somewhat joking tone. "Where have you brought me?"

"I told you: we're home." The girl would answer directly as she opened the door of her home.

Thus, the girl would step aside momentarily, allowing her friend to enter first. Forced to ignore his sudden confusion, Genji would simply bow quickly in thanks and take a few steps inside. The guardian would then enter as well, closing the door behind her. The swordsman's eyes would roam around, scanning the small apartment. The cozy place was adorned with various souvenirs and trinkets, demonstrating the passing of time in the green-haired's life. As soon as he entered, on the right wall, a photo would capture the ninja's attention. In it, Kiriko posed with his mother and grandmother. Meanwhile, the young Yamagami would go to her kitchen counter, feeling in a few seconds the intense gaze of her companion on her.

"Kiriko, you...? Do you live here alone?" The cyborg would question, letting the curiosity out of him once and for all.

"Yes... That's right." Knowing that that answer deserved an explanation, the girl would take a deep breath before deigning to start. "The truth is that... I was forced to move house."

The green-haired would rest both arms against the kitchen counter in front of her, turning her back to her partner while the latter listened attentively, firmly in place.