⑤. ❝𝗥𝗲𝘂𝗻𝗶𝗼𝗻❞

The moon shines high in the starry sky above Kanezaka, bathing everything in its light, casting long shadows on the roof where a confrontation had just ended. In the middle of that scenario, Genji would find himself standing right in front of the figure of Kiriko, who was still lying on the ground. Then, with a mixture of melancholic emotions, the young Shimada would slowly remove his metal mask, revealing his human face. Some scars now marked his skin, noting the cruel passage of time. Yet those eyes of his were unmistakable, despite having lost their characteristic glow of youthful vivacity. It was undoubtedly the face of Genji Shimada. At that sight, Kiriko's eyes would widen in disbelief. Her previous attacks had been driven by anger and the need to protect her home, but now, suddenly, she was facing a ghost; someone she believed she had lost a long time ago.

"Genji?" The young woman whispered, her voice noticeably in shock, totally vulnerable. Instinctively, her hand would take one of her kunai, ready to defend again if necessary.

The swordsman's gaze would soften as he stared into Kiriko's eyes. For an instant, he would be able to see all the pain, confusion, and years of bottled up emotions she had dealt with. He knew he had to choose his words carefully.

"Yes, Kiriko... It's me." His voice no longer had that metallic reverberation characteristic of his mask.

The girl, still stupefied, would let out her thoughts aloud, in the form of a whisper. "But... you're supposed to be dead."

As soon as he could hear those words, the swordsman would feel more dismayed at the mistaken belief that the girl had lived with all this time. After a short sigh, he would reply with a slightly subdued tone. "Fate had other plans for me..."

Finally, the green-haired woman would take a few moments to carefully look at the entire body of the man in front of her. Now, the raw sight of that mostly metallic body struck her coldly, forcing her to show a hint of sorrow as she again fixed her gaze on the other's. "What happened to you...? Your..."

Faced with such questioning, the cyborg would remain suddenly silent for a few moments, while looking at the back of one of his own hands. After that, he would respond with a firm tone, trying to be clear and concise. "I was forced to change against my will... but I have accepted who I am now. I understand why you attacked me, but we need to talk. There's a lot I need to explain to you."

Kiriko's grip would loosen slightly, but her gaze would still reflect wariness. "Explain?..." She would repeat, her voice laced with bitterness. "After all this time, you suddenly show up... And you expect me to believe that you have an explanation?"

Genji would begin to take slow steps to get a little closer to her. "I know it's hard to trust me, but there's a lot you don't know, Kiriko... I swear."

For her part, the green-haired girl's eyes would try to search deeply into those of her opposite, looking for any trace of sincere disappointment and regret. "So... You left without saying anything. You abandoned your clan, your village, your duty... Your family." The bitterness in her voice would slowly turn into slight contempt... Or at least, she would try to sound like it. "Now what? Will you apologize and disappear again?"

The Shimada's voice would tremble slightly with regret as he prepared to reply. "I made mistakes, Kiriko, and I've carried the weight of them all ever since. But I have found a new purpose..."

Before continuing with his speech, the ninja would take the liberty of taking a look at the night horizon, while the memory of the conversation he had had with his companions played again in his mind.

"The chance to make amends for the pain I, and others just as despicable, have caused. It was Overwatch who gave me such purpose." He would reveal, while returning to fix his gaze on the girl in front of him.

Kiriko's frown would soften slightly, while a particularly hopeful gleam would shine in her eyes. "Overwatch? So... Is it true?... Is back?"

As he proceeded with his words, the young girl would finally slowly get up. Her defensive stance, though still present, seemed somewhat softened, as she still held that kunai up. Memories of both began to flood her mind. Memories of the time they had shared as children. Memories of the bond they had formed; as if they were family. It seemed like a lifetime had passed since then, but at that moment it seemed like yesterday.

The cyborg would nod with his expression full of determination, motivated by noticing that girl now standing. "Yes. We are back to protect people, to make a difference. And now, the time has come for me to amend my biggest mistake... protecting my home."

While the night breeze blew gracefully in the environment, a conflicted silence would form between them for a few moments. The green-haired would only keep her gaze lowered, while Genji stared at her, waiting for some reaction from her. Finally, Kiriko would speak again, her voice slightly softer.

"I... I've been fighting for our home ever since you and Hanzo left. I have done everything in my power to keep it safe, even if it was dangerous..."

The swordsman's gaze would soften upon hearing those words. Thus, he would dare to speak again with a more gentle and melancholic tone of voice, while he took a few steps to get closer to her.

"I know... I can hardly imagine the weight you've had to carry because of us." Then, the ninja would slowly raise one of his hands, ending up placing it on one of the green-haired's shoulders, in an attempt to show affection and support. "But you don't have to do it alone anymore. We can do it together."

At that moment, Kiriko's eyes would begin to crystallize, announcing the intense clash of emotions that were attacking her from within. The pain of their separation, the anger at his sudden return, and the undeniable longing to recapture a connection she thought she had long lost. Soon, like a dam unable to withstand a flood, tears would begin to flow from the young woman's eyes, overflowing quickly. Thus, she would slowly lower her hand, dropping her kunai once and for all, finally allowing herself to be vulnerable after so many years.

At that sight, the cyborg would remove his hand from her shoulder, only to make one last attempt to express himself honestly, extending both arms to each side, as if in invitation. And as if the girl accepted such an invitation, she would rush to get attached to him, hugging him without hesitation.

"... I missed you so much, Genji." The green-haired would whisper, her voice choked with emotion.

At that honest statement, Genji would gently close his arms around her, offering her a small, comforting hug, as he whispered his answer. "I know, Kiriko... But now I'm here."

Hearing those words full of regret and sincerity would cause more tears to run down the green-haired girl's cheeks, who, without thinking, would hide her face in Genji's chest, trying to hide the painful and vulnerable expression on her face. Everything, while the moon witnessed such a reunion, projecting its shine on the two of them as if it were a reflector.