Part 10 | "Sweet Fifteen"

"Dad's almost here, you better get ready!"

Grace shouted from the kitchen after she read a message from Na Jaemin a second ago. She was about to finish her prep meal for her son.

Shane asked Grace a week ago that he planned to stay at Na Jaemin's house this weekend. He wanted to spend his weekend with his Dad. Grace was disagreed at first but then she remembered about how Shane rarely spent his time with his Dad for his entire childhood life. It was ironic since they lived far apart from his Dad. Not to mention about the expense that Grace needed to prepare for Shane to leave the country just to meet his Dad back then.

After all, she agreed and told Na Jaemin about it.

"Mom, I'll bring my uniform also. I'm afraid that I couldn't make it home tomorrow."
"Why? It'll take only an hour to get here."
"Dad will take me to the school, that's fine."

Grace remained still and stopped her hands from reaching the container that she needed to get it from the cabinet.

She sighed and turned her body around to face her son. He sat there with his eyes on his phone as he munched his bread that she bought last night for their breakfast in the morning.

Grace was taken aback by the backpack that he prepared for only one night in his Dad's house. She tried to hold back her anger as she counted to breathe in in order to stop her to shout at her son.

She swallowed as she managed to smile at Shane. "Do you think I should buy a car?"

Shane stopped munching and looked confused at his Mom. "What?" He chuckled, "You can't even drive!" He continued to laugh.

"I'll pass the test this time. What do you think? I have a list already."

She smiled and open the cabinet widely. The idea of hers getting a car was fully planned. She thought she might somehow gets a car since she lived far away from the nearest bus station and it's hardly to commute even it'll be less expensive to spend the cost of money that she need to pay for the transportation to get to work. Maybe it'll be much easier to take and pick Shane up from school if she gets a car.

"You had an accident in Taipei, I don't think we should get it."
"I could take you to the school and also pick you up!"

Shane scoffed and drink his water. "I'm fine with Bus. Also, Dad's always ready to drive me. That's pretty much covered."

Here it is again, Na Jaemin would always win over her.

"You never know what will Dad thinks of you if you keep bothering him like this."
"He's my Dad, why would he bothered?"
"Shane, you do understand that we're not together anymore. Even though we're not married before but I have almost a full custody. You are my child and if Dad takes it too far he'll legally get punished!"
"So, what? It's your old people problem, don't put it on me!"

She stopped and exhaled. She wanted to cry, she just wanted to send him off to have some fun times with his Dad but why did it ended up being like this.

Fuck Na Jaemin.

The sound of her phone suddenly dinged as it took a long pause for Grace to finally realize that the smoke was coming from the pot. She quickly turned the stove off and took of the lid of the pot. The soup was almost overcooked but it still looked fine.

She began to pour the soup into the container and leave the pot inside the sink. She took her phone from the counter and read her notification.

"Dad's downstairs." She said and she could hear someone's knocking on their door.

It must be him. She rush out from the kitchen and open the door for him.