fifty seven: the cold war.

BROOKLYN STARED WARILY at the giant, hefting her club menacingly in her hands.

This was it. This is the moment she's been waiting for. Then why did it feel so hollow? Probably because she was already tired of this fucking battle, and it hasn't started yet.

"Hazel," Frank's voice wavered. "That package you're keeping for me? I need it."

She glanced at him in dismay."Frank, no. There has to be another way."

"Please. I — I know what I'm doing."

Thanatos smiled and lifted his manacled wrists. "You're right, Frank Zhang. Sacrifices must be made."

The giant Alcyoneus stepped forward, his reptilian feet shaking the ground. "What package do you speak of, Frank Zhang? Have you brought me a present?"

"Shut the fuck up," Brooklyn muttered under her breath, rolling her eyes. Hard.

"Nothing for you, Golden Boy," Frank said. "Except a whole lot of pain."

The giant roared with laughter. "Spoken like a child of Mars! Too bad I have to kill you. And you two . . . my, my, I've been waiting to meet the famous Percy Jackson and Brooklyn Hayward."

The giant grinned. His silver teeth made his mouth look like a car grille.

"I've followed your progress, son of Neptune," said Alcyoneus. "Your fight with Kronos? Well done. Gaea hates you above all others . . . except perhaps for that upstart Jason Grace. I'm sorry I can't kill you right away, Percy Jackson, but my brother Polybotes wishes to keep you as a pet. He thinks it will be amusing when he destroys Neptune to have the god's favorite son on a leash. After that, of course, Gaea has plans for you. And as for you, Brooklyn Hayward, my brother Porphyrion wants you chained at his feet, following his orders. Who knows what else he has planned? It probably won't be good for you."

"Yeah, flattering." Percy raised Riptide. "But actually, I'm the son of Poseidon, and she's the daughter of Zeus. I'm from Camp Half-Blood."

The ghosts stirred. Some drew swords and lifted shields. Alcyoneus raised his hand, gesturing for them to wait.

"Greek, Roman, it doesn't matter," the giant said easily. "We will crush both camps underfoot. You see, the Titans didn't think big enough. They planned to destroy the gods in their new home of America. We giants know better! To kill a weed, you must pull up its roots. Even now, while my forces destroy your little Roman camp, Porphyrion is preparing for the real battle in the ancient lands! We will destroy the gods at their source."

The ghosts pounded their swords against their shields. The sound echoed across the mountains.

"The source?" Frank asked. "You mean Greece?"

Alcyoneus chuckled. "No need to worry about that, son of Mars. You won't live long enough to see our ultimate victory. I will replace Pluto as lord of the Underworld. I already have Death in my custody. With Hazel Levesque in my service, I will have all the riches under the earth as well!"

Hazel gripped her spatha. "I don't do service."

"Oh, but you gave me life!" Alcyoneus said. "True, we hoped to awaken Gaea during World War II. That would've been glorious. But really, the world is in almost as bad a shape now. Soon, your civilization will be wiped out. The Doors of Death will stand open. Those who serve us will never perish. Alive or dead, you four will join my army."

Brooklyn snorted. "Fat chance, Golden Boy. You're going down."

"Wait." Hazel spurred her horse toward the giant. "I raised this monster from the earth. I'm the daughter of Pluto. It's my place to kill him."